Risk management scheme
The risk management scheme is our contents, liability and cyber insurance programme. Find information about how to join, what it costs and how you can make a claim.
|Level of compliance
- What is the risk management scheme?
- Join the scheme
- What it costs
- How to make a claim
- Withdraw from the scheme
- More information
Our risk management scheme is a non-profit scheme that offers comprehensive contents, liability and cyber insurance for your school.
Your school board can choose to insure with a private insurance company or join this scheme.
All school assets, other than land and buildings owned by the Crown, must be insured.
Who is the scheme for?
The scheme is for state and state-integrated schools.
What does the scheme cover?
The scheme provides comprehensive contents, legal liability and cyber insurance coverage, including public liability cover.
How does the scheme work?
The Ministry of Education employs:
- McLarens New Zealand as the loss assessors
- IAG New Zealand Limited to provide the liability and cyber insurance cover
- Marsh as the insurance broker.
Lumley General Insurance and NZI are business divisions of IAG New Zealand Limited and may appear on communications.
Your school can join the scheme at any time during the year.
- There is no annual renewal process.
- Once your school is a member, you will stay in the scheme until you decide to withdraw.
If you would like to join the programme fill out the application form and send it to us (the address is on the form).
Once your school’s application to join the scheme is approved, you will need to cancel your existing insurance policy unless you have arranged the start of your cover to match the end of any existing cover.
New schools are automatically made members of the scheme.
- No levies are charged during a new school’s establishment phase.
- Levies begin once the school is open and operational.
- Your board can opt out of the Ministry scheme and secure alternative cover once the school is open.
The scheme’s insurance levy is $15.00 per pupil per annum. Your levy is deducted quarterly from your school’s operational funding entitlement.
Your operational funding entitlement notice tells you how much the levy is. Details are shown under the heading ‘risk management’.
You can make a contents claim through McLarens.
Freephone (NZ only): 0800 800 425
Legal liability claim
To make a liability claim, call Lumley General Insurance.
Phone: 0800 293 031 (option 4)
In the event your school suffers a cyber breach contact Sedgwick:
0800 293 031 (option 6)
Direct: 0800 694 292
Sedgwick are NZI's dedicated breach coach and will mobilise necessary resources to help you resolve the situation.
You can cancel your membership at any time. Simply fill out the withdrawal form and send it to us.
- The address is on the form.
- Make sure you include evidence that your school has alternative insurance cover. (For example, a copy of the policy or a letter from your new insurance company confirming cover.)
- When your withdrawal is approved, you will receive a refund of the per pupil deduction for the part of the year for which cover has been paid for through the operational funding deduction.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback