School board elections funding

We provide funding to schools to run triennial, mid-term and by-elections for board members. The funding formula determines how much funding each school is entitled to. Funding for triennial and mid-term elections is paid in the operational grant instalment. For by-election funding, schools need to claim from us directly.

Funding formula for all elections

Our funding is based on a formula which calculates:

  • a base amount, plus
  • a per-student amount multiplied by the current or latest funding roll
Rates 2021 (GST incl) 2022 (GST incl) 
Base funding $737.60 $749.40
Per-pupil funding (All schools except Intermediate) $8.44 $8.58
Per-pupil funding (Intermediate) $12.64 $12.84

Returning officers fees

This fee is paid by the board to the returning officer from the funding available.

Before the election begins the school board and returning officer must agree on the fee that the returning officer will receive. The board and any clerical staff involved in the election process must also agree to the fee in advance.

Returning officer’s fee formula

School boards have the discretion to set the fee formula for their returning officers. We have a suggested formula, which the school can choose to use. The formula is:

50% of the election grant base amount, plus 25% of the per pupil amount.

Triennial elections payments

The Triennial Elections have been moved to September 2022 and will include provisions for electronic voting. 

We pay schools directly through their Operations Grant instalment. Schools should expect to receive 70% of the funding available on 1 July 2022. The remaining 30% of the funding will be paid in 2023.

*Note the 30% payment is only made if the school holds a voting election. The returning officer must submit the Candidate and Election Results Appendix to confirm that a voting election has been held.

Mid-Term elections payments

For schools that have opted into the mid-term (staggered) election cycle, the Ministry pays the funding through their Operations Grant instalments as follows:

Date Funding
1 October 2023 70% of the funding available
1 April 2024 30% of the funding available*

*Note the 30% payment is only made if the school holds a voting election. The returning officer must submit the Candidate and Election Results Appendix to confirm that a voting election has been held.

Candidate and Election Results Appendix(external link)

By-elections

Schools can claim a limited reimbursement of actual and reasonable expenses for holding by-elections. Where a staff representative is elected, the board can claim up to $105 only.

Where a parent representative by-election is held, the reimbursement is limited by the formula specified below.

Per pupil funding rate multiplied by most recent funding roll, plus base rate, equals reimbursement

Reimbursements for a by-election can only be processed at the end of the election process.

Note: Expenses cannot be claimed for the cost incurred for filling in a co-opted member position and electing a student representative.

For any enquiries about reasonable expenditure, please contact our Resourcing Team:

Phone: +64 4 463 8383

Email: resourcing@education.govt.nz

Claiming for by-election reimbursement

Download and complete the school boards' by-elections reimbursement of expenses claim form. Both the board chairperson or secretary and the returning officer.

School board by-elections reimbursement of expenses claim form [DOCX, 62 KB]

Scan and attach all receipts and evidence of expenditure, including returning officer fees, with the claim form. The Ministry can only refund expenses where evidence is provided. These attachments are necessary whether a vote was held. Invoices are not acceptable as evidence of expenditure.

Submit your application and required documentation to: resourcing@education.govt.nz

Other election payments

Aside from by-elections, funding may be available to schools that have held other type of elections. For example:

  • first elections of boards that combine or split
  • first elections following a commissioner or
  • first elections following an Establishment Board.

For further enquiries, please contact resourcing@education.govt.nz

Support for boards and returning officers during elections

The New Zealand School Trustees Association (NZSTA) provides free advice and support for school boards and returning officers during elections.

NZSTA website(external link)

Visit the School Trustee Elections website for information about the election process.

School Trustee Elections website(external link)

The following website also provides support to kura affiliated to the Rūnanga.

Te Rūnanga Nui o Ngā Kura Kaupapa Māori o Aotearoa(external link)

Information for parents and boards is available as follows:

Your school board – Parents website(external link)

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback