Technology class school bus
Information about technology school buses, including eligibility and how to apply.
|Level of compliance||Main audience||Other|
- Yearly review
- Process for applying for new technology transport services
- Process for applying for changes to technology transport services
Where schools are not able to offer technology classes, the Ministry may provide school buses to transport students to and from the closest technology provider where classes are offered.
There must be at least eight Year 7 and 8 students for a school bus to technology classes to be provided. Where there are less than eight, a conveyance allowance may be provided.
To qualify for Ministry assistance, students must:
- be attending their closest provider of technology classes, and
- be at least 1km away from the site of the classes.
Technology Conveyance Allowance
A Technology Conveyance Allowance will be provided to a school:
- if the technology provider is at least 1km away, and
- there are seven or fewer students, or
- if a school prefers this type of funding.
The technology conveyance allowance is paid at a rate of:
- $3.44 per student per return trip, if technology is provided once a week: or,
- $6.88 per student per return trip, if technology is provided once a fortnight
The conveyance allowance is paid at the end of each quarter, after the Ministry has received the attendance report from the school for that term. The payment dates will vary as conveyance allowance is not paid on fixed dates.
Technology bus routes are reviewed every year to ensure they are transporting the maximum number of students to and from their closest technology class provider.
This review occurs during Term 4 to ensure the appropriate transport assistance is in place for the following school year. Updated information on timetables and student numbers can be sent at any time throughout the year to School.Transport@education.govt.nz.
Process for applying for new technology transport services
Requests for new technology services need to be sent to the Resourcing Team at the Ministry.
If the application for a new technology class provider is approved, the Resourcing team informs the School Transport team. The School Transport team then assesses what technology transport assistance could be provided and contacts the school.
Process for applying for changes to technology transport services
Requests for changes to technology class providers need to be sent to the Resourcing – Operational Funding and Staffing Entitlements team at the Ministry.
If the application for a change to technology class provider is approved, the Resourcing team informs the School Transport team. The School Transport team then assesses whether any changes to existing technology transport assistance is required and informs the school of the decision.
A change request must be sent to School.Transport@education.govt.nz, if at any time during the school year either of the following situations occur:
- the timing, days of operation, or frequency of an existing technology bus service needs to change to align with a change in technology class time
- student numbers change which result in a need to change the technology transport assistance e.g., additional bus capacity is required as student numbers are higher than originally planned for
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback