Bus Controller Allowance

Eligibility criteria and more information about the allowance, including forms required to change a Bus Controller.

Level of compliance Main audience Other


  • Boards
  • Principals and Tumuaki
  • Teachers and Kaiako
  • Bus Controllers
  • General Staff/Administrators

Every school serviced by Ministry bus routes must have a Bus Controller. The Bus Controller is responsible for running the bus routes day-to-day and they may be able to claim a Bus Controller Allowance.

Who is eligible for Bus Controller Allowance

Teachers and principals covered by the following employment agreements may be eligible for the Bus Controller Allowance (if authorised by their employing school and Land Transport Agent):

  • Primary Teachers' Collective Agreement
  • Primary Principals' Collective Agreement
  • Secondary Teachers' Collective Agreement
  • Area School Teachers' Collective Agreement
  • the promulgated Individual Employment Agreement of the above.

Employment agreements

Who is not eligible for Bus Controller Allowance

Non-teaching staff

School employees who are not teachers cannot get the Bus Controller Allowance. However, non-teaching staff can be paid for bus duties by completing a Timesheet for Non-Teaching Staff Form (NOVO13nt).

Novo forms – Novopay website(external link)

Area school principals

The Bus Controller Allowance was removed from the Area School Principals' Collective Agreement on 13 April 2011.

All principals who are covered by a more recent collective agreement, or who have signed an Individual Employment Agreement based on the new version of the collective agreement, cannot get a Bus Controller Allowance.

If more than one school uses a route

The allowance is only paid to one Bus Controller per route.

If more than one school uses a route, one school takes responsibility – they are known as the lead school. This is usually the school where the route starts and ends.

The Bus Controller from the lead school will usually receive the allowance for the route.

Changing a Bus Controller

For any changes to Bus Controllers, complete one of the following forms and email it to us.

Email: school.transport@education.govt.nz

Claim the Bus Controller Allowance

To claim the Bus Controller Allowance, complete the NOVO39t form: EdPay and NOVO forms(external link)

At the end of term, email the form to Novopay: Support@novopay.govt.nz

For further information contact Education Payroll: Education Payroll(external link)

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback