Accidents and incidents on school transport

When there’s an accident or incident on school transport it's the driver or transport service provider's (TSP) responsibility to contact emergency services on 111. The driver will then follow the health and safety guidelines of the transport provider.

At the time of the accident or incident

Who notifies people?Who is notified?When
The driver or TSP Emergency services Immediately
  • Bus controllers at the schools serviced by the route.
  • The regional Ministry of Education Transport Contract Manager.
Bus controller at the school The principals of the schools serviced by the route. Immediately
Police Caregivers or next of kin. If there's been serious injury or death.

After the accident or incident

  • Writes a report to the Transport Contract Manager detailing the circumstances of the accident/incident as soon as possible.
  • Writes a report on its investigation, including identifying any remedial action required.
Ministry Transport Contract Manager Liaises with the school and the TSP as needed.
New Zealand Police Commercial Safety Team Investigates commercial vehicle accidents or incidents.
Worksafe Investigates notifiable events to review and resolve health and safety issues.

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback