Setting up and managing the assistive technology
Learn about the requirements for schools to set up and manage their student’s assistive technology.
|Level of compliance||Main audience||Other|
When schools have received assistive technology, they must ensure that it is set up and managed appropriately.
- Getting the assistive technology set up
- Using the assistive technology
- Management plan
- Monitor and review
Getting the assistive technology set up
The Ministry of Education has provided the school with assistive technology based on its application. It is allocated to the named student to meet their identified learning needs.
The school may be allocated assistive technology directly from the Ministry of Education or funded to purchase assistive technology as per the approved application. In making the application, the school has agreed to:
- order and pay for the assistive technology approved using the quote from the application (if necessary)
- take ownership of the assistive technology for the time that the student is enrolled in the school
- list the technology on the school’s asset register so that it's covered by the school's insurance (please refer to Loss, repairs and maintenance of equipment to find out about the Ministry of Education’s continued support in case of theft, loss or damage)
- support the implementation and ongoing use of the technology within the school programme including the implementation of the agreed training plan if applicable.
- contact the local Ministry office for advice if the item needs extensive repair, maintenance or replacement
- maintain a record of the serial numbers and asset numbers or other descriptions of the approved technology along with supplier details and warranty conditions
- provide proof of purchase send a copy of the invoice and serial numbers to the Ministry for their records.
The first steps in getting the assistive technology set up are to:
- label the technology with Equipment ID stickers provided by the Ministry
- organise for appropriate school software, including antivirus software if necessary, to be loaded onto the technology and for the technology to be linked to the school’s networks (if needed)
- file items related to the assistive technology maintenance and use securely (for example, original software, account IDs and passwords, manuals, or accessories).
The ongoing responsibilities of the teachers and kaiako are to:
- ensure that the technology is used for the intended purpose by the student it is allocated to
- review allocated assistive technology regularly and at each transition for the student.
Using assistive technology
The student will use the assistive technology to access their learning curriculum. The teacher designs learning tasks and facilitates the appropriate use of assistive technology to support learning. They may be supported by resource teachers or specialists.
Online training and supplier resources may also be available to support effective use and implementation of the equipment.
A management plan details how the assistive technology is looked after, stored, maintained, carried around and whether it can be taken home by the student – with the principal’s permission. The school can develop its own management plan or use the Assistive technology template – Management plan.
Monitor and review
The school team needs to review allocated assistive technology regularly and at each transition for the student. They will:
- complete a review of the assistive technology and return the Assistive technology form – Review [DOCX, 60 KB] either within six months of the student's first use of the technology or at the next scheduled Individual Education Plan (IEP) meeting
- continue to review the technology on a regular basis to make sure it continues to meet the student’s learning needs
- notify the local assistive technology coordinator when the named student transfers to another school or leaves school and ensure that the assistive technology transfers to the new school with the student OR is returned to the Ministry of Education. Please complete and return the Assistive technology form – Transfer [DOCX, 66 KB] to the Ministry of Education at that time.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback