Secondary school exchanges

Learn about the two types of exchange programmes and the criteria that both must meet in order to operate.

Level of compliance Main audience Other


information symbol

  • Principals and Tumuaki
  • Administrators
  • Parents, Caregivers and Whānau

Schools can organise secondary school exchanges themselves, or a student could choose to take part in a programme run by an Exchange Programme Organisation (EPO). School to school exchanges and EPOs both must meet specific requirements in order to be approved by the Ministry.

About school exchanges

Student exchanges are reciprocal programmes providing an opportunity for students to live and study in another country.

Students experience a different school and education system with a different curriculum, a different culture, and possibly a new language. Most exchange students live with host families.

Types of exchange programmes and requirements

Both school to school or exchange programme organisations programmes must meet the following exchange requirements.

Education focused

Students must be enrolled full time at school and follow a standard educational programme, similar to a domestic student. They may have more intensive language tuition where required, but the programme should not be exclusively language. Programmes where travel is primarily for sporting, cultural or tourism activities should be considered as study trips, not exchanges.

Pastoral care

Exchange students are away from home and familiar environments. Schools and organisations are required to provide pastoral care for both inbound and outbound students in line with the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016.

Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016(external link)

For specific pastoral care requirements refer to the relevant application form.


Programmes should have equivalent numbers of inbound and outbound students, studying in the overseas school/country under equivalent conditions. As inbound students are considered to be domestic students, no tuition fees should be charged on either side (except for EPO students in private or state-integrated schools).


Programmes of 2 weeks or less aren't considered to be exchanges. Inbound students may be either international students or international student visitors. The maximum length of an exchange is 12 months.

Age range

Exchange students must be aged 14 to 18 years, and enrolled in Year 9-13, or the overseas equivalent.

School-to-school exchanges

Exchange Programme Organisations

Inbound exchange students

Inbound exchange students are considered to be domestic students and are therefore eligible for the same funding and support as an equivalent domestic student, including ESOL support where necessary.

Domestic students — Circular 2017/01

ESOL funding

Although inbound exchange students aren't covered by the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016, exchange providers still need to provide Code of Practice level pastoral care to their inbound students. Inbound exchange students may study for up to 3 months on a visitor visa, but longer exchanges require a student visa.

Study in New Zealand — NZ Immigration website(external link)

New Zealand students on exchange

Outbound students are generally not considered enrolled in their New Zealand school for funding purposes while they're on exchange, as they’re receiving education from the overseas organisation. Pastoral care and support is provided by the host school/organisation, often in conjunction with the home school/organisation. The host country determines any visa or permit requirements.

Enrolling inbound and outbound students

Guidance for schools on managing the enrolment of both inbound and outbound students is available from our ENROL team

Guide to using ENROL

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback