National Transition Guidelines for students with additional learning needs
Successfully transitioning students with additional learning needs from school to adult life is a focus for learning support. The National Transition Guidelines document below provides best practice information for specialist educators, schools and parents.
The guidelines are based on these evidence-based best practice principles:
- begin planning early — by age 14
- place the learner and their whānau at the centre
- build partnerships between schools and communities
- ensure goals for the transition plan are embedded in education and the community
- identify and address barriers to providing information and support
- differentiate between learner and whānau needs including life skills
- use community settings
- regularly monitor and evaluate the transition plan.
The National Transition Guidelines
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback