Space entitlement

Use the School Property Guide (SPG) calculator to work out whether your school has all the space it is entitled to. Use the SPG calculator and the teaching space template calculator to work out whether your school is entitled to more space. Both calculations are linked to the number of students on your roll.

Calculating space entitlement

Our School Property Guide (SPG) provides formulas for calculating how much space your school needs for teaching and non-teaching uses. Space is based on your school’s student roll.

Using the SPG calculator

SPG calculator — Our Property Portal(external link)

The calculator works out the total net and gross area based on what you're likely to need for:

  • classroom teaching area
  • gymnasium teaching area
  • library area
  • administration area
  • resource area
  • hall/multipurpose area.

The SPG gives you a total ‘envelope’ of area. Even though the calculation includes a break-down for specific parts of the school, you can decide the best mix and size of area for your school’s needs as long as you keep within the overall SPG entitlement.

If you think you have more or less space than your SPG entitlement, contact your property advisor.

Property advisor details

The SPG calculator has been re-released following a number of improvements:

  • 'Other area' category created: this is a temporary category for area at schools that needs to be reclassified into existing categories.
  • Accurately accounting for 'Legitimate Area' in forward forecasts of school property allowances at schools where Legitimate Area exists.
  • Improvements to printing — in Google Chrome, this will occur automatically. If using Internet Explorer/Edge, please change the print size to 80% in print preview before printing to ensure your results appear on one page.

Guide to the SPG calculator

Gross area

The area enclosed by all the exterior walls of a building. It includes everything within the building, such as teaching spaces, mezzanines, internal partitions, corridors, toilets, lifts, stairwells and cleaners’ cupboards.

Net area

The usable area within rooms such as teaching spaces, resource rooms, administration spaces, gyms, libraries, auditoriums, halls and multi-purpose spaces. It excludes corridors, reception areas, cleaners’ cupboards, toilets.

Māori immersion (MI) roll

Those students learning the curriculum through either level 1 or level 2 Māori immersion.

Ongoing Resourcing Scheme (ORS) students

Those students, aged up to 21 years, with the highest special education needs. They get funding under the ORS. The SPG calculator can work out the separate space entitlement generated by your school’s ORS roll. You can use this information to work out how much area should be dedicated to a special needs unit.

Outside technology students – those students from another school who come to your school for manual technology classes.

Hall discount

This applies if you have a hall larger than your SPG hall entitlement (a hall surplus). To make sure you're not disadvantaged in other areas by the size of your hall, the calculator discounts up to half of your hall surplus in your SPG calculation.

The hall discount is:

  • 0 if there's no hall surplus
  • the same as the hall surplus if the hall surplus is half the area of the hall or less
  • half of the hall area if the hall surplus is greater than half the area of the hall.

For example, if a school has a 500m2 hall but is only entitled to a 200m2 hall, it has a surplus hall area of 300m2. But the school may be deficient in library and administration area by 300m2. So while the school technically has no deficiency, it will be given a hall discount of 250m2 to address the deficiency in its library and administration areas.

Planning for roll growth

Contact your local Ministry office if your school roll is growing and you believe you will need more space. Your Education Adviser will be able to help you to manage your roll growth. You may be entitled to new teaching space if your current roll generates a higher number of teaching spaces than are currently at your school.

Local Ministry offices

We monitor information about population growth and movement in New Zealand. To work out which schools are likely to need new teaching spaces as their rolls grow, we consider:

  • population growth, decline and movement in your area
  • whether your roll growth is sustainable for at least 2 years
  • if there's space in neighbouring schools — we may suggest you set up an enrolment scheme to help spread the local students across the schools in an area.

Enrolment schemes (zones)

Work out your entitlement to new teaching spaces

To find out if you may need a new teaching space, you can use our School Property Guide (SPG) calculator or our teaching space template calculator.

Using the teaching space template calculator

Use the Teaching Space Template to compare your teaching space entitlement with your current number of teaching spaces.

The Teaching Space Template is designed for existing schools experiencing roll growth and which therefore require additional teaching spaces. It doesn't calculate non-teaching space.

Teaching Space Template [XLS, 638 KB]

Use the SPG calculator on our Property Portal for the complete view of space that we consider schools need.

SPG calculator — Our Property Portal(external link)

The Teaching Space template will show you if you have:

  • less teaching spaces than you need (a deficiency) or
  • more teaching spaces than you need (a surplus).

If you have a deficiency, the template converts it to area (square metres). It then calculates a budget based on gross square metres and the current Ministry construction rates. An allowance for site works and a lift is added if it applies to what is being built.

This funding is not guaranteed when you have a deficiency. It depends on population movement, roll growth in your area and whether funding is available.

Construction rates

Counting out-of-zone students in your calculations

If your school has an enrolment scheme, you generally only enter students living in your ‘home-zone’ into the teaching space template. These are the students who live within your enrolment scheme boundary.

You can enrol out-of-zone students if you have surplus space, but you need to be confident you won’t need those spaces for new home-zone students. We normally only approve new teaching spaces for home-zone students.

The following 2 examples show how this works.

Example 1: A school has a regular July roll of 1,001 students, of which, 406 are out-of-zone. Based on the school’s net area it has capacity to teach 934 students. Therefore the SPG entitlement is calculated on 934 students including 339 out-of-zone students.

Example 2: A school has a regular July roll of 1,015 students, of which, 28 are out-of-zone. Based on the school’s net area it has capacity to teach 931 students. The school’s SPG entitlement is calculated on 987 (1,015 less 28) so only the in zone students above capacity are funded.

Sometimes, despite your efforts, your roll goes over its maximum number because of:

  • significant and unexpected roll growth from new in-zone enrolments
  • a Ministry-led zone extension, reorganisation, relocation or other change that alters enrolment patterns.

In either of these cases, we'll consider providing extra teaching spaces.

Schools with special programmes

Special programmes are defined in section 10 of the Education and Training Act 2020 and need to be approved by the Secretary for Education.

Section 10, Education and Training Act 2020 — NZ Legislation website(external link)

We'll consult with you to set a maximum roll for the special programme. The students in the special programme:

  • continue to be out-of-zone students for general purposes
  • can be counted when you're working out your teaching space entitlement, provided you can demonstrate that the programmes at your school would not be viable unless students from outside your home zone could attend.

Contact the Ministry if you think your special programme qualifies for new teaching space funding.

Local Ministry offices

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback