Early Intervention Study Award

Learn about this award, which supports people to study Massey University’s Postgraduate Diploma in Specialist Teaching: Early Intervention.

Level of compliance Main audience Other


  • Educators, Teachers and Kaiako
  • Service Managers
  • Early Intervention Teachers
  • Early Intervention Service Providers


Applicants for the Early Intervention Study Award must meet the associated criteria and use the annual application process.

Key information

You must apply for Massey University's Postgraduate Diploma in Specialist Teaching: Early Intervention at the same time you submit your study award application.

Postgraduate Diploma in Specialist Teaching: Early Intervention(external link)

The applications for admission with Massey University closed on 9 December 2023.

Does this sound interesting? For more information, you can check the FAQs.

FAQs for Learning Support Study Awards and Scholarships

What this award covers

This study award supports the Massey University’s Postgraduate Diploma in Specialist Teaching Early Intervention.(external link)

The study award covers:

  • a contribution towards your travel and accommodation to attend block courses
  • the full amount for your domestic tuition fees (paid to Massey University)
  • an employer contribution to cover teacher release time for up to 50 study leave days per year.(If you are employed by Ministry of Education, your study leave will be agreed locally. Please talk with your manager for details).

Who is eligible for this study award

To be eligible for this award, you must:

  • be employed as an early childhood teacher or an early intervention teacher (EIT) by either:
    • Ministry of Education (Your study leave will be agreed locally. Please talk with your manager for details.)
    • an accredited early intervention service provider
    • a licenced early childhood service
  • be a registered teacher with a full and current practising certificate
  • hold a relevant professional qualification such as a Bachelor of Early Childhood Education or an equivalent qualification. This means an overseas qualification assessed as being equivalent to a relevant New Zealand qualification by the New Zealand Psychologists Board or the Education Council of Aotearoa New Zealand. If you are unsure about whether you have an equivalent qualification, contact Massey University
  • Be permanently employed in full-time or part-time position (a fixed term position which covers the duration of the programme can be considered)
  • Have the approval of and support from your employer to take up the study
  • Have worked for at least 2 years as a qualified early childhood teacher
  • Be a New Zealand citizen or have rights to reside and work in New Zealand indefinitely or permanently.

You are not entitled to this award if you:

  • are employed in relieving position
  • are not accepted into the Postgraduate Diploma in Specialist Teaching: Early Intervention
  • have already received a study award and failed the course.

If you're employed part-time your study leave days will be based on (pro-rata) your full-time equivalent status.

We will give priority to applicants who:

  • have not received a study award or fellowship for which leave with pay was granted within the last two years
  • are early intervention teachers  of Māori or Pasifika descent
  • are early childhood teachers who speak Te Reo Māori.

What to include in your application

Your application must include:

Assessment panels can only consider the content of your application and support letters. Please include details of your ability to succeed in the course of study and any other circumstances that you feel are important for us to consider.

Your responsibilities for meeting the award conditions

If you are granted this study award, you must meet certain conditions. The specific terms and conditions will be listed in your letter of offer. In brief, you must:

  • enrol in your courses at university
  • understand the offer of study award is valid for 2 years. If you need to defer, email learningsupport.workforce@education.govt.nz
  • plan your study and workload for the year (we recommend that you do this with your employer)
  • arrange appropriate study leave with your employer
  • email learningsupport.workforce@education.govt.nz if your situation changes – this includes your employment status, contact details and any changes to your proposed study.

Our support to complete the Postgraduate Diploma in Specialist Teaching for 2 years

Domestic tuition fees

In April, we pay your tuition fees directly to your university. You are responsible for paying non-tuition fees. Please pay directly to the university. 

Non-tuition fees such as student levies, building fees, administration fees and any other add-on university charges are not included.

Travel and accommodation contribution

We will pay this directly into your bank account. The exact amount and date will be written in your letter of offer if your application is successful.

Travel costs above the level of the travel and accommodation are not included.

Contribution payment towards study leave

Note: If you work or study less, the payment will be proportional to your employment FTE and/or the number of papers you are studying.

We pay this to your employer. Details will be included in your letter of offer if you are successful. We will also notify your employer a letter detailing how many days you will receive, the contribution amount and date of payment.

Any study leave taken over the amount you have been told you can use in your letter of offer is not included.

Failure, withdrawal, breaks in study and changes to employment

If you:

  • decide not to start the course after you have enrolled, withdraw as soon as possible. You will need to repay the Ministry any tuition fees paid on your behalf. We will send you an invoice for the amount. Your study award expires. You must make a new application the following year if you want to study again. ‘The university stipulates a ‘withdrawal date’, which is the final date that you can withdraw by to be eligible for a refund of tuition fees. Withdrawal dates are notified on your Confirmation of Enrolment letter from the University or can be seen in the full course outline for a specific course on the Massey website.
  • withdraw from study part way through the qualification, you will need to pay back all tuition fees that we have paid for your study.
  • need to take a break from study due to unforeseen circumstances, email us. You can ask for a study break of a maximum of 1 year.
  • resign, are made redundant, your position is terminated or you decide to change jobs part way through your study, email us as we may give you time to continue study while you find appropriate new employment. If you do not find appropriate employment within three months, your study award will stop and you will need to pay back all tuition fees that we have paid for your study. If you change jobs within semesters, we may be able to transfer unused employer contribution for study leave to your new employer. You and your previous employer will need to agree how many days can be invoiced and transferred to your new employer. We will need confirmation of this in writing. If you can’t agree, you will have to forfeit the remaining days in that semester.
  • fail a paper, you will need to retake that paper at your own expense.
  • want to study one paper per year, you are expected to study two papers per year. In exceptional circumstances, you may be allowed to study one paper. The value of the award will remain consistent with others to ensure equity.

Required disclosures

Your application must disclose any convictions you have had unless they are covered by the Criminal Records (Clean Slate Act) 2004.

This is required to ensure that you would not be prevented from gaining future employment with the Ministry of Education.

You must declare all of your convictions if you have:

  • been convicted of an offence within the last 7 years; or
  • been sentenced to a custodial sentence (eg, imprisonment, corrective training, borstal); or
  • been ordered by a court during a criminal case to be detained in a hospital due to your mental condition, instead of being sentenced; or
  • been convicted of a ‘special offence’ (eg, sexual offending against children, young people or those mentally impaired); or
  • not paid in full any fine reparation or costs ordered by the Court in a criminal case; or
  • been indefinitely disqualified from driving under section 65 of the Land Transport Act 1998 or earlier equivalent provision.

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback