FAQs for Learning Support Study Awards and Scholarships

These Frequently Asked Questions are a useful first stop for those who are interested in applying or are already a recipient of a study award or scholarship.

1. Where can I find the application form?

The application form is available online on the Special Education Study Awards and Scholarships page only between the opening and closing dates for your chosen study award or scholarship.

Most applications also require a cover letter, resume, academic transcripts, questionnaire and employer support letter/form. To read more about the specific requirements of a chosen study award/scholarship you can use the links on the Special Education Study Awards and Scholarships page.

2. How do I apply?

Online applications for the six study awards are welcomed between the beginning of August and the end of September. The scholarship applications open in either September/October or April depending on the one you are applying for.

3. Can I make an application after the closing date/late application?

No. We assess all applications together in time for starting the next academic year, so we can’t accept late applications. Application forms are only available while applications are open.

4. What exactly is funded on the study award or scholarship I am applying for?

The study awards cover course fees paid to the university, contribution to travel expenses paid to you (if applicable) and you will be entitled to study leave days (25 per semester).

Scholarship funding varies depending on the particular scholarship you choose. The funding is paid directly to the student either in instalments or at the end of each successful year of study. Additional information can be found from the Special Education Study Awards and Scholarships page by clicking on the link to your chosen study award/scholarship and clicking on ‘what the award provides’.

5. I don’t currently hold a degree level qualification. Can I still apply for a study award or scholarship?

No. You must hold a degree level qualification (e.g. Bachelor of Education (teaching) or Tino Rangatiratanga Whakapakari) to apply for the study awards and scholarships as this is an entry requirement of Massey University. Massey University will not accept a Diploma of Teaching as equivalent to a degree.

6. What are the range of learning support study awards and scholarships I can apply for? Where else can I look?

There are six endorsements for learning support study awards:

  • Blind and Low Vision
  • Complex Educational Needs
  • Deaf and Hard of Hearing
  • Gifted
  • Early Intervention
  • Resource Teachers: Learning and Behaviour

There are four endorsements for learning support scholarships:

  • Child and Family Psychology Internship/Educational Psychology Internship
  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • New Zealand Sign Language Interpreting
  • New Zealand Sign Language Tutor

Other options for awards/scholarships are listed below:

7. How many hours of study are required for the study awards?

There are 400 hours (50 days) of study leave allocated per year for the study awards so make sure you can commit at least this much time. Talk to the university about hours of study for specific courses.

8. Is there a list of accredited Early Intervention service providers?

The Ministry contracts Early Intervention Services (EISSP) from the following organisations:

9. What if I am still awaiting full teacher registration?

You’ll need to wait until you have your full teacher registration. Any application can only be accepted with full teacher registration.

10. What is the travel contribution and how is it paid to me?

Travel contributions range depending on where you live. The contribution is towards flights or other travel costs and accommodation you need to attend the block courses.

Your travel contribution is calculated based on the distance between your home and the university and will be clearly outlined in your offer letter. It will be paid automatically each semester to your registered bank account. Please ensure these details are up to date.

11. Do you have to apply for each semester?

No. You apply once at the beginning of the course for all the study awards and scholarships.

12. What if I want to apply for a study award and work part time?

You can. This does not affect your eligibility for a study award. If you work part time, any study leave employer contributions associated with your chosen study award will be calculated on a pro rata basis.

13. Can I send screen shots of my academic transcripts as evidence?

No. These need to be scanned and attached for readability.

14. When will I find out if I have been accepted onto a study award/scholarship?

After the applications close there is a process for selection as there are often many applications. We aim to let you know the outcome as soon as we can. Each study award or scholarship has a set time frame.  The opening, closing and notification dates are listed for the full range of study awards and scholarships. The notification date indicates when you will find out if you have been successful.

15. What do I do if I want to withdraw from a paper/course?

A condition of your study award is that you must let the university and the Ministry know at learningsupport.workforce@education.govt.nz. You may also be required to repay funds if payments have already been made. Usually, you can get a full refund if you withdraw from your paper within the first two weeks.

If you need more information, you can find it in the ‘your responsibilities.’ section in the links under study awards and scholarships.

16. What do I do if I want to defer my study?

We understand that unforeseen situations might mean you need to take a break from your studies. In this case you need to let the university and the Ministry know at learningsupport.workforce@education.govt.nz. You can ask for a study break for up to a maximum of one year.

Make sure you read ‘your responsibilities for meeting the award conditions’ section of the relevant study award/scholarship.

17. What do I do if I want to study one paper per year for my study award?

The expectation of the course and the study awards is that you will complete two papers per year for two years.

In exceptional circumstances, you may be allowed to study one paper. If you want to reduce the amount of papers you are studying please contact us at learningsupport.workforce@education.govt.nz. Make sure you read ‘your responsibilities for meeting the award conditions’ section of the relevant study award/scholarship.

18. What do I do if I am changing jobs?

Please inform us learningsupport.workforce@education.govt.nz if you are changing jobs, with the new employer’s information. It is important that the new employment continues to meet the requirements of your chosen study award.

19. A payment for travel contribution didn’t arrive. What do I do?

The travel payments to you are made automatically. Please first check your offer letter that you are eligible for a travel payment. If you are and it does not arrive in your account, contact us at learningsupport.workforce@education.govt.nz.

20. When do I apply for the course at the university? Do I wait until I know what is happening with the study award/scholarship?

You should apply for the university course associated with your chosen study award/scholarship at the same time as applying for the award/scholarship so the process goes smoothly. If your application is unsuccessful you can self-fund or withdraw from the course. The notification date for the award/scholarship will be before the university’s deadline for withdrawal from the course.

21. How do the study award course fees get paid to the university?

Once you are enrolled in a course, the university invoices the Ministry who then pays your tuition fees. You (or your school or cluster) are responsible for paying the non-tuition portion of your fees. This information is for study awards only not scholarships.

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback