Become a teacher or return to teaching

New Zealand needs well-qualified, dynamic and enthusiastic teachers who enjoy working with young people. Learn about working as a teacher in New Zealand.

Level of compliance Main audience Other



  • Teachers and Kaiako
  • Student Teachers
  • Overseas Teachers


This information supports people to begin teaching in New Zealand schools or early learning services.

Become a teacher

Find information on becoming a teacher including studying to become a teacher, choosing the right course, financial support for studying, scholarships and studying while employed as a trainee teacher.

Become a teacher(external link)

Return to teaching

New Zealand-trained teachers

You might be qualified but not currently teaching, or maybe you're living overseas and considering returning to New Zealand. There's currently a high demand for teachers, and now is the perfect time to return to teaching in New Zealand. 

New Zealand-trained teachers – TeachNZ(external link)

You might have taken a break after having children, caring for others, working elsewhere or travelling. The TeachNZ website provides information to help you get back into the classroom.

Returning to teaching after a break – TeachNZ(external link)

If you’re a New Zealand-trained teacher living overseas and considering returning to NZ, now is the time to make the move back home. You could receive a relocation grant, and get your overseas experience or additional qualifications recognised. 

Returning New Zealand teachers – TeachNZ(external link)

Teacher Education Refresh

You may need to complete a Teacher Education Refresh (TER) if you're a:

  • qualified, non-practising teacher, completed your teacher training more than five years ago and are applying to become registered, or
  • provisionally certificated teacher who wants to apply for another provisional practising certificate five years or more after becoming registered.

Teacher Education Refresh – TeachNZ(external link)

Overseas teachers

If you are a teacher based overseas looking to move to New Zealand to teach, we have a dedicated website to help you through the process.

Teach in New Zealand(external link)

Find a teaching job

Teachers and early learning educators are directly employed by schools and early learning services. There is no central staffing agency and no government department responsible for staff placement. All job applications should be made directly to the employing school or early childhood service.

If you are looking for a job in a school or ECE, see the vacancies available in the Education Gazette. ECE vacancies can also be found on other job listing websites.

Search vacancies – Education Gazette(external link)

Schools and ECEs can also use specialist teacher recruitment agencies to assist them during the recruitment process.

Māori and Pacific teachers

As Māori and Pacific teachers, you’re in demand both for your language skills and as a role model for Māori and Pacific students in New Zealand.

The Ministry of Education has contracted Education Personnel to provide a JobFind Assistance Programme for Māori and Pacific teachers.

Maori and Pacific teachers – TeachNZ(external link)

Voluntary bonding scheme

The voluntary bonding scheme (VBS) was introduced in 2009 to encourage newly graduated teachers to teach in certain areas of need.

In 2018 the scheme was expanded to include more schools, settings and subjects. 

Voluntary Bonding Scheme – TeachNZ(external link)

Beginning teacher support

The change from 'student teacher' to teacher can be demanding, which is why new primary and secondary teachers are offered additional support.

Beginning, overseas and retrained teacher time allowances

Other pathways to teaching

There are many pathways into your first teaching position.

For new graduates it may take some time and perseverance to get there. Where possible, stay involved in the education sector. This allows you to continue to gain experience with students and current best practices, and helps demonstrate your commitment to education.

Other pathways to teaching – TeachNZ(external link)

Registration, practising certificates and LATs

All teachers in New Zealand must be registered teachers with the Teaching Council of New Zealand | Matatū Aotearoa.

You can apply for registration and a provisional practising certificate as soon as you've graduated.

Registration and certification is the way the Teaching Council ensures all teachers in Aotearoa are qualified, capable and ethical professionals.

Registration never expires but your practising certificate must be renewed every three years.

You can apply for registration and a provisional practising certificate at the same time through the Teaching Council’s online portal, Hapori Matatū.

Newly graduated teachers are required to compete a two-year programme of induction and mentoring provided by their employer before applying for a full practising certificate.

You can find out more on the following pages of the Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand website:

Information about getting registered and certificated – NZ Teaching Council(external link)

Limited authority to teach (LAT)

A Limited Authority to Teach (LAT) allows a person without a teaching qualification to be employed in a teaching position in a specified situation, temporarily.

For example, a LAT allows a school to employ someone with skills that are in short supply, often people who have specialist skills, such as industry specialists in technology subjects.

Limited Authority to Teach – NZ Teaching Council(external link)

Salary assessment

As part of being appointed to a teaching job in New Zealand, you need to get your salary assessed. This is to make sure you're getting paid your correct salary as quickly and easily as possible. To get your salary assessed, you need to complete a salary assessment application online.

Read the information sheet below and visit the Education Payroll Ltd website for more information on the salary assessment process:

New employee information sheet | payroll and salary assessment [PDF, 60 KB] [PDF, 57 KB]

Salary assessment – Education Payroll Ltd(external link)

Studying while employed as a trainee teacher

Employment-based initial teacher education (ITE) aims to attract high-calibre students into teaching and give them the skills and knowledge they need to meet the needs of diverse learners.

Under employment-based ITE, teacher trainees are employed by schools as teachers while studying for their teaching qualification, instead of being based in universities.

Studying while employed as a trainee teacher – TeachNZ(external link)

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback