Advisers on Deaf Children (AoDC) Study Award

Learn about this award, which supports people to study for a Master of Specialist Teaching (AoDC) at Massey University.

Level of compliance Main audience Other


  • Advisers on Deaf Children (AoDC)


Applicants for the Advisers on Deaf Children Study Award must meet the associated criteria and use the annual application process.

Key information

You must apply for Massey University's Master of Specialist Teaching (AoDC) at the same time as you submit your study award application.

Master of Specialist Teaching (AoDC) – Massey University(external link)

The closing date for admission with Massey University was 9 December 2023.

Does this sound interesting? For more information you can find the frequently asked questions.

FAQs for Learning Support Study Awards and Scholarships

If you have any questions regarding the masters, contact Massey University's Postgraduate administrator by:
Phone: 06 356 9099(external link) Extn 83072

The study award covers:

  • the full amount of your domestic tuition fees (paid to Massey University)
  • a study leave contribution and 5 study leave days per year to study NZSL, a total of 45 days which is paid directly to the AoDC’s Manager Learning Support to fund relief staff to cover the workload. The payment is paid per semester. The allowance is pro-rata to the AoDC’s FTE status.

Who is eligible

To be eligible for this award, you must:

  • be permanently employed as an AoDC
  • hold a relevant professional qualification such as a Bachelor degree or an equivalent qualification. This means an overseas qualification assessed as being equivalent to a relevant New Zealand qualification. If you are unsure about whether you have an equivalent qualification, contact Massey University
  • be a New Zealand citizen or have rights to reside and work in New Zealand indefinitely or permanently.

You are not entitled to this award if:

  • you are not accepted into Master of Specialist Teaching (AoDC) offered by Massey University
  • we have previously provided you with funded support for your AoDC training – you will need to re-take any failed papers at your own or your lead school’s expense.

Once applications have closed, we will contact your manager to confirm:

  • your employment status
  • that they approve and support your study.

What to include in your application

Your application may include any letters of support (not mandatory).

It will also include details of your ability to succeed in the course of study and any other circumstances that you feel are important for us to consider.

Our decision to grant or not grant an award is final, and we will not enter into any discussion about it.

Your responsibilities

If you are granted this study award, you must meet certain conditions. The specific terms and conditions will be listed in your letter of offer. You must:

  • enrol in your courses at university
  • understand the offer of study award is valid for 2 years. If you need to defer, email
  • plan your study and workload for the year (we recommend that you do this with your employer)
  • arrange appropriate study leave with your employee
  • email if your situation changes. This includes your employment status, contact details and any changes to your proposed study.

Support to complete the Postgraduate Diploma in Specialist Teaching for 2 years

Domestic tuition fees

You will receive domestic tuition fees. In April, we pay your tuition fees directly to your university. You are responsible for paying non-tuition fees. Please pay directly to the university. It does not include non-tuition fees such as student levies, building fees, administration fees and any other add-on university charges.

Contribution payment towards study leave

You will receive contribution payment towards study leave. Note: If you work or study less, the payment will be proportional to your employment FTE and/or the number of papers you are studying. We pay this to your employer. Details will be included in your letter of offer if you are successful. We will also notify your employer a letter detailing how many days you will receive, the contribution amount and date of payment. Any study leave taken over the amount you have been told you can use in your letter of offer won't be included.

Failure, withdrawal, breaks in study and changes to employment

If you:

  • decide not to start the course after you have enrolled, withdraw as soon as possible to enable a refund. You will need to repay the Ministry any tuition fees paid on your behalf. We will invoice you for the amount. Your study award expires. You must make a new application the following year if you want to study again. ‘The university stipulates a ‘withdrawal date’, which is the final date that you can withdraw by to be eligible for a refund of tuition fees. Withdrawal dates are notified on your Confirmation of Enrolment letter from the University or can be seen in the full course outline for a specific course on the Massey website.
  • withdraw from study part way through the qualification, you will need to pay back all tuition fees that we have paid for your study.
  • need to take a break from study due to unforeseen circumstances, email us. You can ask for a study break of a maximum of one year. 
  • resign, are made redundant, your position is terminated or you decide to change jobs part way through your study, email us as we may give you time to continue study while you find appropriate new employment. If you do not find appropriate employment within three months, your study award will stop and you will need to pay back all tuition fees that we have paid for your study.
  • fail a paper, you will need to re-take that paper at your own expense. 
  • want to study one paper a year, you are expected to study 2 papers per year. In exceptional circumstances, you may be allowed to study one paper. The value of the award will remain consistent with others to ensure equity.


Your application must disclose any convictions you have had unless they are covered by the Criminal Records (Clean Slate Act) 2004. This is required to ensure that you would not be prevented from gaining future employment with the Ministry of Education.

You must declare all of your convictions if you have:

  • been convicted of an offence within the last 7 years, or
  • been sentenced to a custodial sentence (eg, imprisonment, corrective training, borstal), or
  • been ordered by a court during a criminal case to be detained in a hospital due to your mental condition, instead of being sentenced, or
  • been convicted of a ‘special offence’ (eg, sexual offending against children, young people or those mentally impaired), or
  • not paid in full any fine reparation or costs ordered by the court in a criminal case or
  • been indefinitely disqualified from driving under section 65 of the Land Transport Act 1998 or earlier equivalent provision.

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback