Scholarships for Teaching English in Schools to Speakers of Other Languages (TESSOL)
Learn about TESSOL (Teaching English in Schools to Speakers of Other Languages) tuition fees scholarships, including who’s eligible to apply and how to make an application.
|Level of compliance||Main audience||Other|
Teachers in state-funded schools or early learning services can apply for a TESSOL scholarship. Applications for 2021 TESSOL scholarships are due by Monday 30 November 2020.
You're eligible to apply if you:
- are a New Zealand citizen or New Zealand resident
- work full-time or part-time in a state-funded school, or early childhood education service
- are a New Zealand registered teacher in roles including:
Subject and class teachers
Specialist ESOL teachers
Members of the senior leadership team
Learning support coordinators
Early childhood educators
- currently teach new migrant, former refugee, Pacific background or international students in a state-funded school, or early childhood education service
- have at least 2 years' teaching experience.
More than 1 teacher at a school can apply for a scholarship – in fact, this is recommended as studying together provides good opportunities for collegial support.
TESSOL tuition fees scholarships are offered for study at:
- University of Auckland (Faculty of Education) [PDF, 202 KB]
- University of Canterbury (College of Education) [PDF, 167 KB]
- Massey University [PDF, 169 KB]
- Victoria University of Wellington [PDF, 155 KB]
- Waikato Institute of Technology (Wintec) [PDF, 164 KB]
The scholarship funds 2-5 specified core papers, depending on the course.
Funding includes course fees and $200 towards course-related costs.
The funding usually covers 2 years at a rate of 1-2 papers each year.
We strongly encourage schools to help teachers complete the qualification by funding at least some of the papers not covered by the scholarship.
Online applications for 2021 TESSOL scholarships are now closed. If you would like to enquire about the possibility of a late application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
You will need the following information about your school/ECE service to complete the application:
- Completed supplementary information form [DOCX, 15 KB] signed by your principal
- School/ECE number
- Total number of students enrolled
- Number of staff with TESSOL qualifications
- Total number of ESOL funded students
- Number of ESOL funded students from a migrant and former refugee background
- Number of ESOL funded students from a Pacific background
- Number of international fee-paying students
Contact email@example.com for application-related enquiries. For qualification and study-related queries contact the tertiary providers directly.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback