Blind and Low Vision Study Award

Learn about this award, which is designed to support people to study Massey University’s Postgraduate Diploma in Specialist Teaching: Blind and Low Vision.

Level of complianceMain audienceOther


  • Resource Teachers (Vision)
  • Teachers and Kaiako


Before applying for the Blind and Low Vision Study Award, ensure that you meet the associated criteria and are aware of the application process. 

Key information

You must apply for the admission to Massey University’s Postgraduate Diploma in Specialist Teaching: Blind and Low Vision(external link) once you have submitted your study award application.

The closing date for admission with Massey University is 10 December 2020.

Applications for the study award are now closed.

Before submitting your application please read each section of this page carefully.

The information we provide on this page is an indication only. The letter of offer (should your application be successful) will have all the details.

What the award provides

The study award pays:

  • you a contribution towards your travel and accommodation for your study
  • Massey University the full amount for your domestic tuition fees 
  • your employer a contribution towards hiring a relief teacher to cover your study leave.

Important dates in applying for the award

Action Dates
Applications close 30 September 2021
Applicants and employers notified by 22 November 2021

Who is eligible for this study award

To be eligible for this award, you must:

  1. Be employed in one of the following positions:
    • registered teacher in a permanent position at a state or state-integrated school
    • registered teacher in a long-term reliever position (that extends for the full duration of the course) at a state or state-integrated school
    • registered teacher with the minimum of a Diploma in Teaching qualification at a chartered early childhood centre
    • teacher of the vision impaired in a permanent or long-term relieving position.
  2. Have the approval of and support from your employer. 
  3. Have a minimum of 3 years of teaching experience in schools or the early childhood sector.
  4. Be a New Zealand citizen or have New Zealand permanent residency.

You are not entitled to this award if you:

  • are not accepted into the Postgraduate Diploma in Specialist Teaching: Blind and Low Vision
  • have already received a study award and failed the course.

If you're employed part time:

  • you will still be eligible for this study award, but the number of study leave days allocated to you will be less – this is based on your full-time equivalent (FTE) status.

We will give priority to applicants who:

  • are currently working as Resource Teachers: Vision
  • have not received a study award or fellowship for which leave with pay was granted within the last 2 years.

The postgraduate diploma in Specialist Teaching: Blind and Low Vision

This study award supports Massey University’s Postgraduate Diploma in Specialist Teaching: Blind and Low Vision(external link).

The details of the programme will be confirmed in near future.

For more information about the diploma

If you have any questions regarding the diploma, please contact Massey University:

Roseanne MacGillivray
Postgraduate Administrator
06 356 9099 Extn 83072 

Your responsibilities for meeting the award conditions

You will receive our support to complete the Postgraduate Diploma in Specialist Teaching for two years:

You will receiveHowNot included

Domestic tuition fees 

In April, we pay your tuition fees directly to your university.

You are responsible for paying non-tuition fees. Please pay directly to the university.

Non-tuition fees such as student levies, building fees, administration fees and any other add-on university charges.

Travel and accommodation contribution 

We will pay this directly into your bank account. The exact amount and date will be written in your letter of offer if your application is successful.

Travel costs above the level of the travel and accommodation.

Contribution payment towards study leave.

Note: If you work or study less, the payment will be proportional to your employment FTE and/or the number of papers you are studying.

We pay this to your employer. Details will be included in your letter of offer if you are successful. We will also notify your employer a letter detailing how many days you will receive, the contribution amount and date of payment. 

Any study leave taken over the amount you have been told you can use in your letter of offer.

Failure, withdrawal, breaks in study and changes to employment

If you...then...
Decide not to start the course after you have enrolled

Withdraw as soon as possible. You will need to repay the Ministry any tuition fees paid on your behalf. We will send you an invoice for the amount.

Your study award will not be deferred for a year. You must make a new application the following year if you want to study again.

The university stipulates a ‘withdrawal date’, which is the final date that you can withdraw by without having to repay tuition fees. Find out from the university what the cut-off date is.

Withdraw from study part way through the qualification You will need to pay back all tuition fees that we have paid for your study.
Need to take a break from study due to unforeseen circumstances You will need to talk to us. You can ask for a study break of a maximum of one year.
Resign, are made redundant, your position is terminated or you decide to change jobs part way through your study

Contact us as we may give you time to continue study while you find appropriate new employment.

If you do not find appropriate employment in a suitable time, your study award will stop and you will need to pay back all tuition fees that we have paid for your study

Fail a paper

You will need to retake that paper at your own expense.

Want to study one paper a year You are expected to study two papers per year. In exceptional circumstances, you may be allowed to study one paper.

Required disclosures


Your application must disclose any convictions you have had unless they are covered by the Criminal Records (Clean Slate Act) 2004. This is required to ensure that you would not be prevented from gaining future employment with the Ministry of Education.

You must declare all of your convictions if you have:

  • been convicted of an offence within the last 7 years; or
  • been sentenced to a custodial sentence (eg, imprisonment, corrective training, borstal); or
  • been ordered by a court during a criminal case to be detained in a hospital due to your mental condition, instead of being sentenced; or
  • been convicted of a ‘special offence’ (eg, sexual offending against children, young people or those mentally impaired); or
  • not paid in full any fine reparation or costs ordered by the court in a criminal case; or
  • been indefinitely disqualified from driving under section 65 of the Land Transport Act 1998 or earlier equivalent provision.


Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback