Rest facilities at schools

Rest facilities, also known as sick bays, are required at schools. As a board of trustees, you must provide rest facilities so that students or teachers who are unwell or injured have a place to rest.

Providing rest facilities (sick bay)

If your school has a roll of:

  • fewer than 61 students, you must provide rest facilities in the staffroom or another appropriate place
  • 61 students or more, you must have a rest, casualty or isolation room of at least 7m2 — the room must have access to toilet facilities with a hand wash basin with hot and cold water. 

The School Property Guide calculator includes this space in your entitlement.

School Property Guide funding for schools

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback