ESOL professional development
We provide resources and professional development support to help teachers and teacher aides develop their skills in working with English language learners.
|Level of compliance||Main audience||Other|
This guidance supports schools and teachers by providing tools and resources for ESOL professional development. Using these resources supports in generating positive learning outcomes for the students of the targeted teachers.
- English Language Learning Progressions professional support
- Working with English language learners handbook and DVD for teacher aides and bilingual tutors
- Scholarships for Teaching English in Schools for Speakers of Other Languages (TESSOL)
English Language Learning Progressions professional support
English Language Learning Progressions (ELLP) is a resource for teachers that:
- helps you choose content, vocabulary and tasks that are appropriate to each student’s age, stage and language learning needs
- describes typical patterns for English language learners as they acquire an additional language
- explains how to monitor and report on your students’ progress.
English Language Learning Progressions — ESOL Online(external link)
To help you use the ELLPs more effectively, you can work through the following online resource.
ELLP Professional support modules for leaders and teachers — ESOL Online(external link)
Working with English language learners handbook and DVD kit for teacher aides and bilingual tutors
The Working with English Language Learners handbook for teacher aides and bilingual tutors is supported by a series of online modules.
Working with ELL professional development resource — ESOL Online resource(external link)
Your school’s ESOL teacher, or an experienced teacher, needs to work through the resources with you, or with a small group of teacher aides. Your coordinating teacher will sign off the Certificate for Completion of the Modules as you complete each module, and the principal signs the certificate upon completion.
Certificate for completion of modules [PDF, 271 KB]
Your school can choose how to deliver this programme. As a guide, the 10 modules are designed to be completed over 2 terms, taking roughly 2 hours a fortnight.
Order the Working with English language learners DVD and handbook online or by phone.
Down the Back of the Chair(external link)
Freecall (NZ only): 0800 660 662
You can also download the handbook as a PDF file.
Working with English language learners handbook [PDF, 2.8 MB]
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback