Special residential school non-teaching staff

If you work at a special residential school but you're not a teacher, you’ll be employed in a professional, administrative or residential role. Find out about your pay, allowances, leave and other employment conditions and entitlements.

Level of complianceMain audienceOther


  • Special Residential School Non-Teaching Staff
  • Boards

The rights and responsibilities specified in an employment agreement must be adhered to. This page supports boards and special residential school non-teaching staff to understand the rights and responsibilities that are associated with their roles, as stated in a non-teaching staff member’s employment agreement.

Location of special residential schools

The special residential schools in New Zealand are van Asch Deaf Education Centre, Kelston Deaf Education Centre, Halswell Residential College, Salisbury School and Westbridge Residential School.

Employment agreements

Special residential school staff are covered by:

  • the Special Residential Schools’ Collective Agreement (SRSCA), or
  • an individual employment agreement (IEA), with similar terms and conditions to the SRSCA.

Who's covered by the SRSCA

You're covered by the collective agreement if:

  • your work is covered by this agreement, and
  • you’re a member of the New Zealand Public Service Association (PSA).

Special Residential Schools’ Collective Agreement 2019-2021 

Who's covered by the individual employment agreement (IEA)

You need to sign an IEA if:

  • your work is covered by the collective agreement, but
  • you're not a member of the PSA.

The Ministry of Education develops and publishes the IEA The terms and conditions of your work are similar to the collective agreement.

Special Residential Schools’ Individual Employment Agreement [PDF, 128 KB]

Your pay

For information about your pay refer to Part 4 of the collective agreement.

Part 4 - Special Residential Schools’ Collective Agreement 

All non-teaching jobs at special residential schools are classified as either:

  • administration
  • technical
  • special services
  • general services, or
  • residential.

Each classification is also split into grades. Your role’s classification and grade will depend on:

  • the complexity of your job
  • your qualifications and experience, and
  • whether you have supervision or management responsibilities.

Clause 4.2 of the collective agreement sets out the salary scales for the different classifications and grades.

Clause 4.2 -Special Residential Schools’ Collective Agreement 

If you work part time, your pay is a percentage of the full-time pay for your role, calculated by the number of hours you work each week.

Pay increases

Each pay grade has steps within it and you can move up those steps based on your performance review each year, as set out in clause 4.7 of the collective agreement.

Clause 4.7 - Special Residential Schools’ Collective Agreement

Your pay will also increase for length of service as set out in clause 6.6.

Clause 6. 6 - Special Residential Schools’ Collective Agreement


Allowances are set out in Part 6 of the collective agreement.

Part 6 - Special Residential Schools’ Collective Agreement 

These include allowances for:

  • transport (if you have to use your own car for school business – $0.59 cents per kilometre)
  • being on call ($30 a day)
  • going on a school camp or similar activity ($20 a day).

You can also get a higher duties and special duties allowance if you do a higher graded job for 5 days or more.


Leave entitlements are set out in Part 5 of the collective agreement.

Part 5 - Special Residential Schools’ Collective Agreement

Annual leave

If you're a standard employee, you get 5 weeks’ annual leave each year plus 1 recreation day, which is on top of the normal public holidays. After 6 years' service, you get 6 weeks annual leave plus 1 recreation day.

You can carry forward up to 5 days of your annual leave to the next year, but not your recreation day. You can use up to half of your next year’s allocation in advance.

If you're a rostered employee with hours of work set by clause 3.1.2(b) of the collective agreement, you don't have annual leave as you get paid time off when your school is closed, as set out in clause 5.6 of the collective agreement.

Clause 5.6 -Special Residential Schools’ Collective Agreement

Sick leave

Your sick leave allocation is 10 days each year. You can use this to care for a sick family member (this is called sickness at home leave). You may be able to use some of your next year’s sick leave in advance if you need to. These entitlements are set out in clauses 5.9 and 5.10 of the collective agreement

Clause 5.9 - Special Residential Schools’ Collective Agreement

Other leave

You're entitled to bereavement/tangihanga leave, as set out in clause 5.12 of the collective agreement.

Clause 5.12 - Special Residential Schools’ Collective Agreement

You may be able to get special leave, with or without pay as set out in clause 5.8. You can apply for special leave for things like:

  • working for the NZPSA
  • study
  • attending conferences and conventions, or
  • to accompany your partner on an overseas posting. 

Clause 5.8 - Special Residential Schools’ Collective Agreement

Parental leave

You're entitled to parental leave, as set out in the Parental Leave and Employment Protection Act 1987. It applies to a birth mother, their partner/spouse and people who adopt a child aged under 6.

Parental Leave and Employment Protection Act 1987 - NZ Legislation website(external link)

Parental leave covers 4 types of leave.

  • Primary carer leave – mothers and employees who are going to have the primary responsibility for a child (under six years) can get up to 26 weeks off work from around the time of birth or from the time you become the primary carer for the child in the case of adoption, home for life or whāngai.
  • Partner/paternity leave – if your partner has had a baby or you've adopted a child together, you can take up to 2 weeks off.
  • Extended leave – you may be able to extend your maternity leave for an extra 52 weeks.
  • Special leave – pregnant woman can have up to 10 days' pregnancy related leave.

You need to apply to your employer before taking parental leave. The usual notice required is 3 months but this can be reduced in some circumstances, for example if an adoption is arranged in a short time. The Employment New Zealand website explains how to apply for parental leave.

Parental leave - Employment New Zealand website(external link) 

Parental leave payment

If you qualify for the parental leave payment, it's paid through Inland Revenue, so you need to apply for this payment and your school must confirm that you're entitled to parental leave.

If you work part time, information on the Employment New Zealand website can help you work out your parental leave payment.

Parental leave payment - Employment New Zealand website(external link) 

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback