Foreign language assistants

If you're a French, German or Spanish language assistant, you will generally work with a group of schools but your host school is your employer. Learn about the terms of your employment.

Level of compliance Main audience Other


  • Foreign language assistants
  • Boards

Employment agreement

As there is no collective agreement that covers your work. You are employed under an individual employment agreement (IEA). The Ministry of Education develops and approves the IEA.

The rights and responsibilities specified in an employment agreement must be adhered to.

Your pay

  • If you are a Spanish foreign language assistant, your gross (before tax) full-time salary is $56,472.90 per annum.
  • If you are a German or French foreign language assistant, your net (take home) full-time salary is $46,511.30 per annum if you provide an IR23 certificate from Inland Revenue. Without an IR23, your gross salary is $56,472.90 per annum.
  • If you work part time, your salary will be calculated as a proportion of the full-time amount depending on your working hours.

Your leave

You get 4 weeks' annual leave each year and you must take this when the school is closed (that is, not in term time).

Your sick leave allocation is 10 days each year and you can use this to care for a sick family member.

You are also entitled to bereavement/tangihanga leave.

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback