Preparing for emergencies, traumatic incidents, evacuations and lockdowns
Your school or early learning service may face a natural disaster, pandemic, criminal acts or student suicide. An emergency event may require an evacuation or a lockdown. It’s important to be prepared for these events.
The Emergency management template to help you develop your own emergency plan.
Emergency planning guidance for planning for an emergency or traumatic incident. It complements both the:
- Emergency Management Plan, and
- Traumatic Incidents: Managing Student and Staff Wellbeing.
Find out how to prepare and implement a pandemic plan.
- Quick Guide to Pandemic Planning
- Pandemic Planning Guide [DOC, 813 KB] (full guide)
- Emergency Management Plan template (including a template for pandemic) [DOC, 719 KB]
- Communicable diseases in schools and early learning services - Guide to legal powers
Further information from other agencies
The Get Ready website has information on how to prepare yourself personally for an emergency.
What's the Plan Stan is a resource that primary- and intermediate-level teachers can use to develop their students’ knowledge and skills to prepare for, and safely respond to, disasters.
If you're an early learning service, you'll find more information in the Early Learning section of this website.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback