Property and equipment
Property maintenance and the provision of appropriate equipment needed for particular activities are important aspects of your health and safety system. Property and equipment include personal protective equipment (PPE), buildings, facilities, grounds, technology classrooms, science laboratories, utilities, hazardous substances and construction projects.
Questions to consider
- What other PCBUs do you need to connect and coordinate with to manage health and safety of property and equipment?
- Do workers and others know how to report any concerns about property and provision of suitable equipment?
- What is your training approach to support the appropriate use of safety equipment?
- What information do you receive to give you assurance that property is being well maintained?
- How will you know that equipment being used is appropriate for the activity and that individuals are trained to use it correctly?
See the Property section of education.govt.nz for extensive guidance to support health and safety in relation to school property:
Property, procurement and school transport
Early learning services
Early learning services must meet certain licensing requirements in order to operate. Links to the regulatory framework are below, but services may also find other linked information on this page helpful:
Premises and facilities – Early Learning licensing requirements
Health and safety – Early Learning licensing requirements
PCBUs (Person Conducting a Business or Undertaking) must provide appropriate protective equipment for all work environments that your staff are likely to encounter in their roles, and for others onsite.
- Electrical equipment testing
- Playground equipment and surfacing
- Guidance for school exempt laboratories [PDF, 3.3MB] – Te Kete Ipurangi(external link)
- Safety in technology education – Te Kete Ipurangi(external link)
- Planning for science programmes – Te Kete Ipurangi (external link)
- Guide to Firearms Policies
WorkSafe provides information about the use of personal protective equipment in situations where a worker's health and safety are at risk:
Personal protective equipment (PPE) - Worksafe(external link)
Property management FAQs - WorkSafe(external link)
An introduction to property in schools - NZSTA(external link)
Property - Health and safety management
Property - Maintenance, repairs and security
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback