Policy One funding for capital work at integrated schools

Find information about the Ministry’s Policy One funding for proprietors of state-integrated schools to modernise and upgrade their integrated school property.

Level of complianceMain audienceOther


  • Boards
  • Proprietors
  • Principals and Tumuaki
  • Administrators

Policy One funding must be used for work costing over $5000 and prioritised to cover urgent health and safety and essential infrastructure work. 

Using Policy One funding for capital work at integrated schools

We provide proprietors of integrated schools with Policy One funding to pay for capital maintenance and modernisation projects. This funding is to keep existing integrated school property in a state of repair comparable with that of state schools.

Policy One funding is calculated annually and provided on a quarterly basis. The funding is based on the annual state school depreciation expense. In this way, the rate of modernisation funding is the same as that provided to state non-integrated schools.

Clause 5 of each school’s supplementary agreement to the integration agreement details this calculation.

What the funding is for

Policy One funding is for work costing over $5000.

The funding must be prioritised for:

  • urgent health and safety work
  • essential infrastructure work.

Where maintenance work costs less than $5000, boards use their Operational funding to pay for it.

Plan out your Policy One funding 

Boards and proprietors need to plan for unforeseen capital work, including any property modifications needed for students or staff with learning needs who start at the school.

Specialised education occupational therapists and physiotherapists will work with the school and make recommendations about what modification are needed.

Learning support property modifications

  • Steps 1-5 of the process are relevant for integrated schools wishing to use Policy One funding for the modifications.
  • Proprietors can use any funding left over to upgrade buildings to create Flexible Learning Spaces (FLS).
  • Designing learning environments

To build new property, proprietors can apply for Policy Two funding.

Policy Two funding for new buildings at integrated schools

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback