Accelerated Modernisation Scheme
Learn about the accelerated modernisation scheme, including what funds are available and the eligibility requirements.
|Level of compliance||Main audience||Other|
School Boards are responsible for the financial governance of their schools. To access AMS, their school’s projects must meet the qualifications listed below.
What it is: a 5 year funding programme starting with schools in the 2018/19 5YA cycle. Its’ purpose is to accelerate the modernisation of teaching and learning environments in schools.
What it is for: Priority 3 projects identified in a schools 10 Year Property Plan
The budget: Schools may be eligible for a 100% increase in the 5YA budget, up to a maximum of $200,000.
10YPP Priority 3 works
AMS funding can be applied to a Priority 3 project identified in the schools' 10 Year Property Plan (10YPP) to modernise teaching and learning environments. This might be:
- an identified Priority 3 project which has been scaled back to align with the available budget
- a project that's been deferred to Years 6-10 of a 10YPP
- a newly identified Priority 3 project which supports the school's strategic vision for school property.
Schools eligible for other funding over and above baseline 5YA funding can also access AMS funding for a qualifying project. This supports schools to undertake both essential infrastructure works (Priority 2) and modernisation works (Priority 3).
If a Priority 3 project is identified in the 10YPP, schools can access AMS funding by:
- submitting the 10YPP to the Ministry by 30 November in the first year of the 5YA
- letting the contract for the AMS project or be actively progressing the project by 31 May in the first year of the 5YA.
If there's a qualifying project agreed in the 10YPP, schools will be able to access this funding.
If schools don't have a project which qualifies for AMS funding, schools are unable to meet the qualifying timeframes, or there's a portion of AMS funding not required for an agreed AMS project, the full or remaining AMS funding will be returned to us.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback