Special terms or conditions (concurrence)

Learn about the process to apply for special employment terms (concurrence).

Level of complianceMain audienceOther


  • Boards
  • Principals and Tumuaki
  • Teachers and Kaiako
  • Non-Teaching and Support Staff

If a school wants to offer a principal or teacher different employment terms or conditions from those set out in their employment agreement, they must gain Ministry approval. This is required under Section 75, State Sector Act - NZ Legislation website(external link).

About concurrence

Ministry of Education approval is required if your school wants to offer you different employment terms or conditions from those set out in your employment agreements, for example, additional pay, allowances or benefits. Any additional payment or benefit is not lawful without concurrence. This approval is called concurrence.

Section 75, State Sector Act - NZ Legislation website(external link)

Any additional payment or benefit is not lawful without concurrence.

Concurrence is not guaranteed. The Ministry considers each application on its merits.

If you're a principal

If you’re a principal, any additional payment or benefit is on top of the base salary and allowances in your employment agreement.

The 2 types of additional payments or benefits boards can offer you are:

  • payments or benefits for taking on extra duties and responsibilities
  • ‘sensitive payments’ such as work-related Koru Club membership, home phone and internet rental, and limited use of a school vehicle for private purposes.

Your board must apply for concurrence from the Ministry before offering you any additional payment or benefit. Full instructions on how to apply for concurrence is covered in our Circular 2013/27 – Principal Concurrence.

Circular 2013/27 – Principal Concurrence

If you're a teacher or other school employee

Boards don't need concurrence from the Ministry to:

  • make recruitment, retention and responsibility payments (3R payments) to teachers out of operational funding
  • pay above the minimum rates contained in some of the collective agreements covering other staff in schools (such as caretakers, cleaners and support staff).

Because boards are already able to make such extra payments, the Ministry rarely grants concurrence for additional payments or allowances to staff who aren't principals.

However, approval can be given in some circumstances - for example, to appoint a specialist classroom teacher who doesn't meet all of the required criteria (such as years of experience).

If you're a teacher, the Ministry won't grant approval for your school board to pay your registration fees as it's your individual responsibility to meet all professional requirements, including registration.

Proof of concurrence

Additional payments are subject to audits, and auditors will look for proof of concurrence. The Office of the Auditor General (OAG) also regularly reviews the process. You can read reports on the results of past audits of concurrence on the OAG's website.

Payments above a school principal's normal salary - OAG website(external link)

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback