Kei Tua o te Pae
Kei Tua o te Pae/Assessment for Learning: Early Childhood Exemplars is a best-practice guide that will help teachers continue to improve the quality of their teaching.
The exemplars are a series of books that will help teachers to understand and strengthen children's learning. It also shows how children, parents and whānau can contribute to this assessment and ongoing learning.
We are making improvements to our Download-to-Print functionality, so if you want a printed copy there are PDF versions available at the bottom of the main cover page.
Reflective questions – He pātai hei whakaaro iho
- How do we define “competence”?
- How does our assessment documentation help the children to develop their sense of themselves as capable and confident learners and communicators?
- Looking at some samples of our assessments in recent weeks, what kinds of learning have we been documenting? Have we recognised and responded to the kinds of learning that we value? Do we want to extend or change this focus? Do these samples reflect the cultural perspectives of the families within our centre?
- Taking a selection of children’s names from our roll, what have we noticed and recognised about each child’s personal goals, interests, and working theories?
- What learning strategies and dispositions are valued here? How does the programme encourage and motivate the children to develop them?
- What social roles and culturally valued literacies have we recognised in recent assessments?