Kei Tua o te Pae
Kei Tua o te Pae/Assessment for Learning: Early Childhood Exemplars is a best-practice guide that will help teachers continue to improve the quality of their teaching.
The exemplars are a series of books that will help teachers to understand and strengthen children's learning. It also shows how children, parents and whānau can contribute to this assessment and ongoing learning.
We are making improvements to our Download-to-Print functionality, so if you want a printed copy there are PDF versions available at the bottom of the main cover page.
Book 20: Information and Communication Technology (ICT) – Te Hangarau Pārongo me te Whakawhitwhiti
Introduction He kupu whakataki
The exemplars in this book should be considered in conjunction with the discussion in Book 16. Information and communication technology (ICT) can be defined as “anything which allows us to get information, to communicate with each other or to have an effect on the environment using electronic or digital equipment”.1 The Government’s ICT framework for early childhood education states:
"Acknowledging the central position of the ECE curriculum Te Whàriki in ECE policy and practice, the vision for ICT use in early childhood education has been directly drawn from Te Whàriki’s aspiration statement:
The thoughtful and meaningful use of ICT in early childhood education services can support children “to grow up as competent and confident learners and communicators, healthy in mind, body, and spirit, secure in their sense of belonging and in the knowledge that they make a valued contribution to society.
What this means for ICT use in early childhood education is that learners in ECE services should have the opportunity to experience:
- enhanced learning opportunities through the meaningful use of ICT
- which will enable them to enhance their relationships, and
- broaden their horizons by exploring the wider world." 2
In this section
- A lens focused on assessment practices – He āta titiro ki ngā mahi aromatawai
- A lens based on Te Whāriki – He tirohanga mai i Te Whāriki
- A lens focused on the symbol systems and technologies for making meaning: ICT – He tirohanga ki ngā tohu whakahaere me ngā
momo hangarau hei whakamārama atu: ICT
- Exemplars – Ngā tauaromahi
- Reflective questions – He pātai hei whakaaro iho
- Endnotes – Kōrero tāpiri