Regulatory Systems (Education) Amendment Bill
The Regulatory Systems (Education) Amendment Bill proposes minor and technical changes that will modernise and update the education regulatory system.
A copy of the Bill, can be found here: Regulatory Systems (Education) Amendment Bill 240-1 (2023), Government Bill Contents – New Zealand Legislation(external link)
The Education and Workforce Committee has invited submissions on this Bill. Submissions can be made, until 11:59pm on 1 May 2023, by clicking the link below:
Regulatory Systems (Education) Amendment Bill - New Zealand Parliament (www.parliament.nz)(external link)
The Bill makes changes to update the Pacific Education Foundation Act 1972 (the PEF Act), including:
- updating the definition of a Pacific person who can benefit from the Foundation within the PEF Act, so it continues to be representative of Pacific people in New Zealand
- updating the purpose, makeup, and constitution of the PEF Board to enable it to function more effectively and provide advice to the Ministry and Minister of Education and other agencies
- recognising the unique relationship, the Crown has with New Zealand Realm countries and the Treaty of Friendship with Samoa
- updating the authorised expenditure of the Pacific Education Foundation.
The Bill amends the Ngarimu VC 28th Māori Battalion Memorial Scholarships Act 1945 (the Ngarimu Act) to:
- Recognise the 28th (Māori) Battalion Memorial Scholarship Fund Board (the Ngarimu Board) as the successor of the 28th Māori Battalion (NZ) Association.
- Establish a new national Māori representative position on the Ngarimu Board for a person who has served or is serving in the New Zealand Defence Force.
The Bill amends the Health and Safety at Work (General Risk and Workplace Management) Regulations 2016 to ensure that Police vets for non-teaching and unregistered employees at unlicensed childcare centres, such as gym and mall creches, are obtained and used to assess any risk to the safety of children before the person begins work.
The Bill amends the Children’s (Requirements for Safety Checks of Children’s Workers) Regulations 2015 to include an additional reference to the ‘Kiwi Access Card’, reflecting the name change of the 18+ card.
To view advice provided in relation to these Bills, please visit the Education and Training Amendment Bill (No.3) and Regulatory Systems (Education) Amendment Bill Proactive-release webpage.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback