Within school teacher
On this page, you can learn about the Community of Learning | Kāhui Ako within school teacher role.
|Level of compliance||Main audience||Other|
This guidance supports Communities of Learning | Kāhui Ako to understand the functions of the within school teacher.
- About the role
- Pre-requisites for the role
- Merging within school teachers to create across schools teachers
- Further information
About the role
The purpose of the within school teacher is to promote best teaching practice and strengthen the use of an inquiry approach to teaching and learning. Within school teachers draw on a range of professional resources and adapt what they do to meet students’ needs and strengths. They work directly with other teachers (including those from other members of their Community of Learning) to help identify and respond to challenges in practice, and support the Community of Learning’s objectives.
Teachers appointed to the role are given time and support to share effective teaching practices that improve educational achievement.
We provide the employing board with:
- 0.08 full-time teacher equivalent release time (this will appear on the school’s staffing entitlement notice)
- a $400 per year induction and networking allowance, as part of the operations grant.
Allowances are made on a pro-rata basis if an appointee is in a role for less than one year.
Pre-requisites for the role
Applicants for the within school teacher role will have:
- employment as a teacher in the school
- a current practising certificate
- recent teaching experience relevant to the role
- met professional standards relevant to their current position.
Merging within school teachers to create across school teachers
Communities of Learning may create up to two additional across schools teacher roles by merging several within school teacher roles.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback