4.4 Secondary Principals’ Career Structure
- his clause outlines a career progression for secondary principals who meet the professional criteria as affirmed by their board and the service criteria. Payments made under this clause are to encourage and recognise individual professional growth, leadership and contribution of a secondary principal.
- Provided that the principal has entered into a performance agreement and undertaken an annual review as in clauses 2.1.2 and 4.1 within the last 12 months, principals covered by this collective agreement will be entitled to a career allowance based on clauses 4.4(c) – (j) and the following service and professional criteria:
|Stage||Service criteria||Professional criteria|
|1 - Initial principalship||Minimum of 3 years continuous service as a principal in a New Zealand State or State Integrated Secondary School||
|2 - Experienced principal||Minimum of 6 years continuous service as a principal in a New Zealand State or State Integrated Secondary School||
|3 - Leading principal||Minimum of 9 years continuous service as a principal in a New Zealand State or State Integrated Secondary School||
- The board of trustees is responsible for affirming that the principal meets the professional criteria, after which one of the following career allowances shall be made and will be paid fortnightly. A principal can only receive one payment under 4.4(d) at any one time.
- From the dates outlined below, the annual career allowances for a secondary principal who meets the service and professional criteria will apply as follows:
|Stage||Rate prior to 2 May 2016||Rate effective|
2 May 2016
2 May 2017
2 May 2018
|1 - Initial principalship||$3,500||$3,570||$3,641||$3,714|
|2 - Experienced principal||$7,000||$7,140||$7,283||$7,428|
|3 - Leading principal||$10,500||$10,710||$10,924||$11,143|
- For the purposes of this clause continuous service is not broken by a gap in principalship of up to three years. Service as a principal in a New Zealand State or State Integrated area school shall be included in the calculation of service under the service criteria, provided that at the time of applying the principal has completed at least a year in a New Zealand State or State Integrated secondary school.
- Service will not be counted for periods of time spent:
- On leave without pay;
- On secondment (other than as a principal in another school);
- As supernumerary in a teaching role;
- As a relief or acting principal (except where the acting or relief principal moves directly to a substantive principal role).
- When there is a break of more than three years service before reappointment as a secondary principal, previous experience as a principal shall be credited as one half year of service for each complete year of principalship (that would otherwise be eligible as service for this allowance), allowing the principal the possibility of moving directly to any of the three career stages providing she/he meets the relevant professional criteria, provided that:
- At the time of eligibility she/he has completed one year in their current position;
- That while they were on the break for three years or more the principal consistently maintained their teacher registration;
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback