Primary Teachers' Collective Agreement

Download the agreement

If you want a printed copy of this agreement we suggest you download the following PDF version.

Primary Teachers' Collective Agreement 2023–2025 [PDF, 1.1 MB]

Speech-language therapists who are covered by the Therapists' Pay Equity Claim Settlement have additional terms and conditions not reflected in the PTCA:

Employment information for Speech-Language Therapists [PDF, 232 KB]

Documents are available in Adobe PDF format only. Accessible versions, where available, can be supplied on request.


Changes to the agreement

Read about the recent changes in the Primary Teachers' Collective Agreement.

Changes to the Primary Teachers’ Collective Agreement 2023-25

Part 11: Employment Relationship Problems

Primary Teachers' Collective Agreement
Effective: 3 July 2023 to 2 July 2025

  • Resolving an Employment Relationship Problem
    • The employee and employer should first make a reasonable effort to discuss the problem and settle it by mutual agreement. (If it’s a personal grievance, it must first be raised with the employer within 90 days - Personal Grievances are explained further below).

      An employee (or employer) has the right to be represented at any stage.

      When a problem arises, union members should contact their local NZEI Te Riu Roa field officer for advice and representation.

      Employers should contact NZSTA or other adviser/representative of choice.

  • Personal Grievances
    • A personal grievance is a particular type of employment relationship problem that normally must be raised with the employer within 90 days of the grievance arising.

      An employee may have a personal grievance where:

      • They have been dismissed without good reason, or the dismissal was not carried out properly.
      • They have been treated unfairly.
      • Their employment or a condition of their employment has been affected to their disadvantage by an unjustified action of their employer.
      • They have experienced sexual or racial harassment, or have been discriminated against because of their involvement in a union or other employee organisation, or have suffered duress over membership or non-membership of a union or other employee organisation.
      • They have been discriminated against in terms of the prohibited grounds of discrimination under the Human Rights Act 1993.

      Note: The full meaning of the terms personal grievance, discrimination, sexual harassment, racial harassment, and duress, shall be the meaning given by sections 103 to 110 inclusive of the Employment Relations Act 2000 only. For ease of access these are attached at the end of this Agreement as Appendix 2.

      As with other employment relationship problems, the parties should always try to resolve a personal grievance through discussion.

      Either party can refer a personal grievance to the Employment Relations Service of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment for mediation assistance, or to the Employment Relations Authority.

      If the problem relates to a type of discrimination that can be the subject of a complaint to the Human Rights Commission under the Human Rights Act 1993, the person can either take a personal grievance, or complain to the Human Rights Commission, but not both. If in doubt, advice should be sought before deciding.

  • Services Available
    • To help resolve employment relationship problems, the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment provides:

      An Information Service

      This is free. It is available by contacting the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) or by phoning toll free 0800 209020. The Employment Relations Service internet address is link) and they can be contacted by e-mail at

      Mediation Service

      The Mediation Service is a free and independent service available through MBIE.

        • This service helps to resolve employment relationship problems and generally to promote the smooth conduct of employment relationships.
        • Mediation is a mutual problem solving process, with the aim of reaching an agreement, assisted by an independent third party.
        • If the parties can’t reach a settlement they can ask the mediator, in writing, to make a final and binding decision.
        • A settlement reached through mediation and signed by the mediator at the request of the parties is final, binding and enforceable. Neither party can then take the matter any further and, either party can be made to comply with the agreed settlement by court order.
        • If the problem is unresolved through mediation either party may apply to have the matter dealt with by the Employment Relations Authority.

      The Employment Relations Authority

        • This Authority is an investigative body that operates in an informal way. It looks into the facts and makes a decision on the merits of the case and not on the legal technicalities.
        • Either an employer or an employee can refer an unresolved employment relationship problem to the Authority by filing the appropriate forms.
        • The Authority may call evidence, hold investigative meetings, or interview anyone involved.  It can direct the parties to try mediation. If mediation is unsuitable or has not resolved the problem, the Authority will make a decision that is binding on all parties. Any party can contest the Authority’s decision through the Employment Court.

      Note 1: All employment relationship problems, including personal grievances and any disputes about the interpretation or application of this Agreement, must be resolved under Parts 9 and 10 of the Employment Relations Act 2000(external link).

      Note 2: In relation to a dispute about the interpretation, application, or operation of this Agreement the employer shall act, if the Secretary acting under delegation from the State Services Commissioner so requires, together with or in consultation with the Secretary.