Stand-downs, suspensions, exclusions and expulsions guidelines – Part 1
About the guidelines
- are designed to assist school boards, principals, and teachers with their legal options and duties and meet their obligations under relevant statutory requirements, and
- are for use in all state and state-integrated schools.
Independent schools may also wish to adopt this guide.
Please note: in the documents below the Education and Training Act 2020 has replaced the Education Act 1989.
The Guidelines comprise:
These guidelines replace those published by the Ministry of Education in June 2004 and the 2007 Supplement. The paragraphs have been numbered for ease of use and reference. Cross references to Part 2 – Good practice are given where relevant.
Role of the board
This section provides information about the role of the board following a principal's decision to stand-down or suspend a student. It includes information about the board's authority, options, how to hold a suspension meeting, making and recording a decision and communicating the decision.
In this section
- At the suspension meeting - This page provides guidelines for the suspension meeting including the board's authority and role, how to hold a meeting, making a decision and recording the reasons, and communicating the decision
- Flowchart 4: Action by board following decision to suspend - This flowchart outlines the actions that may be taken by a board following a decision to suspend a student
- When the suspension is lifted without conditions - This page provides guidance for when a suspension is lifted without conditions
- When the suspension is lifted with conditions - This page provides guidance for when a suspension is lifted with conditions
- When the suspension is extended with conditions - This page provides guidance for when a suspension is extended with conditions
- Requesting a reconsideration - This page provides guidance for requesting a reconsideration of a board's initial decision
- Flowchart 5: Reconsideration of suspension: Action by board - This flowchart outlines the actions that may be taken by a board in reconsideration of suspension
- When the student is excluded - This page provides guidance on when the student is excluded
- When the student is expelled - This page provides guidance on when the student is expelled