Stand-downs, suspensions, exclusions and expulsions guidelines – Part 1
About the guidelines
- are designed to assist school boards, principals, and teachers with their legal options and duties and meet their obligations under relevant statutory requirements, and
- are for use in all state and state-integrated schools.
Independent schools may also wish to adopt this guide.
Please note: The Education and Training Act 2020 has replaced the Education Act 1989. Any references to the Education Act 1989 in the Stand-downs, Suspensions, Exclusions and Expulsions (SEEE) Guidelines should be replaced with the relevant sections in the new Education and Training Act 2020. In Part 1, this includes replacing the sections of the Act in Appendix 1: The Education Act 1989 and Appendix 2: Education (Stand-down, Suspension, Exclusion and Expulsion) Rules 1999. In Part 2, this includes replacing the sections of the Act in the letters in the Appendix in the Good Practice Guidelines.
The Guidelines comprise:
These guidelines replace those published by the Ministry of Education in June 2004 and the 2007 Supplement. The paragraphs have been numbered for ease of use and reference. Cross references to Part 2 – Good practice are given where relevant.
Re-enrolment of excluded or expelled student
This section provides information about the role of the Ministry of Education and the board and the re-enrolment of an excluded or expelled student.
In this section
- Re-enrolment of excluded student - This page provides guidance on the re-enrolment of an excluded student
- Re-enrolment of expelled student - This page provides guidance on the re-enrolment of an expelled student
- Flowchart 6: Action by principal when student excluded or expelled - This flowchart outlines the actions that may be taken by a principal when a student is excluded or expelled