Complaints options independent of the Ministry

If you raise an issue with us, we will work with you and do our best to resolve it. If after working with us you are still not happy with how we've handled your complaint, there are a range of options for you to consider as you seek a resolution.

Office of the Ombudsman

If you're not happy about the way we're handling your complaint or you think you have been treated unfairly, you can lodge a complaint about us with the Office of the Ombudsman.

Get help – Office of the Ombudsman(external link)

Privacy concerns

If you think we have not protected your personal information or we have breached your privacy and you are unable to resolve a privacy dispute with us, you can make a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner Te Mana Mātāpono Matatapu.

Making a complaint – Privacy Commissioner(external link)

A quick tour of the privacy principles, relating to how your personal information should be collected and stored, is available on the Privacy Commissioner's website.

Privacy Act 2020 principles – Privacy Commissioner(external link)

Health and disability concerns

If you have concerns about a health or disability service and we have not resolved your issue to your satisfaction, you may make a complaint to the Health & Disability Commissioner Te Toihau Hauora, Hauātanga.

Making a complaint – Health & Disability Commissioner(external link)

Education rights: Children & Young People's Commission

If your child is having issues at school ( for example, from being stood down, bullied, having issues with a teacher or difficulty accessing learning support) you should contact your local Ministry office.

If you are still concerned after working with us, you can visit the Children & Young People's Commission website to understand your education rights.

Rights – Children & Young People's Commission(external link)

NZ Police

If you believe a child or adult is in immediate danger or if a crime has been committed, you should dial 111.

You can also call 105 to report incidents that are not emergencies, such as theft or intentional property damage.

Details on how to report emergencies and non-emergencies can be found on the NZ Police website.

How to report a crime or incident – NZ Police(external link)

Oranga Tamariki

If you, or a child or young person you know is in immediate danger, call Police on 111.

If you need to talk, Oranga Tamariki’s freephone is available 24 hours, 7 days a week: 0508 326 459

Worried about a child? – Oranga Tamariki(external link)

Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand

If you have concerns about the conduct or competence of a teacher, you should raise these with the school board as the employer.

If you are still concerned after raising with the board, you can make a complaint with the Teaching Council.

Report a concern – Teaching Council(external link)

Raising concerns about a public entity

If you have raised concerns about us that are not individual complaints or problems and are not satisfied with our response, you may raise your concerns about us as a public entity with the Controller and Auditor-General, an Officer of Parliament who operates independent of the Government.

Raise your concerns – Controller and Auditor-General(external link)

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback