Licensing criteria for home-based ECE services

The Education Act 1989 S309 defines home-based ECE services as the provision of education or care, for gain or reward, to fewer than 5 children under the age of 6 (in addition to any child enrolled at school who is the child of the person who provides education or care) in:

  1. their own homes
  2. the home of the person providing education or care
  3. any other home nominated by the parents of the children.

These services are licensed in accordance with the Education Act 1989 under the Education (Early Childhood Services) Regulations 2008, which prescribe minimum standards that each licensed service must meet. Licensing criteria are used to assess how the services meet the minimum standards required by the regulations.

For each criterion there is guidance to help services meet the required standards.

The publication of the criteria on its own can be downloaded as a PDF [PDF, 541 KB] and printed.

The licensing criteria were last updated in November 2016.

Licensing Criteria Cover

HS33 Incident notification to the Ministry of Education

  • Criterion
    • Criterion

      Where there is a serious injury or illness or incident involving a child while at the service that is required to be notified to a specified agency, the service provider must also notify the Ministry of Education at the same time.

      Documentation required:

      A copy of the notification sent to the specified agency.

  • Guidance
    • Guidance

      A specified agency is any government agency or statutory body that the service provider is required to notify if there is a serious (or as defined) injury, illness, incident or allegation.

      This may include but is not limited to:

      The Ministry and WorkSafe have produced a factsheet to see what events need to be notified [PDF, 1.5 MB].

      After the incident has been managed on site (e.g. first aid provided, parents notified, specified agency notified), the service provider must then call their Ministry area office adviser to inform them of the incident. Then the service provider should send them a copy of the notification.

      Once notified, the Ministry of Education will follow up with the service provider to ensure any recommended actions are put in place.

      Documentation guidance:

      A copy of the notification sent to the specified agency is required to be sent to the Ministry of Education.