Licensing criteria for home-based ECE services
Section 10 of the Education and Training Act 2020(external link) defines home-based ECE services as the provision of education or care, for gain or reward, to children who are under the age of 5 years, or who are aged 5 years but not enrolled at school, in:
- the children’s own home; or
- the home of the person providing the education or care; or
- any other home nominated by a parent of the children.
These services are licensed in accordance with the Education and Training Act 2020 under the Education (Early Childhood Services) Regulations 2008(external link), which prescribe minimum standards that each licensed service must meet. Licensing criteria are used to assess how the services meet the minimum standards required by the regulations.
For each criterion there is guidance to help services meet the required standards.
The publication of the criteria on its own can be downloaded as a PDF [PDF, 1.3 MB] and printed.
The licensing criteria were last updated in September 2022.
Premises and facilities
45 Premises and facilities standard: general
(1) The premises and facilities standard: general is the standard that requires every licensed service provider to whom this regulation applies—
(a) to use premises and facilities that, having regard to the number and age range of the children attending the premises, provide sufficient and suitable space for a range of activities, facilities for food preparation, eating, sleeping, storage, toileting, and washing, and sufficient and suitable heating, lighting, noise control, ventilation, and equipment to support—
(i) appropriate curriculum implementation by the service provider; and
(ii) safe and healthy practices by the service provider; and
(b) to comply with the requirements of Schedule 4 (which relates to activity spaces).
(2) Each licensed service provider to whom this regulation applies must comply with the premises and facilities standard: general.
The criteria in this section are grouped together by topic. Each criterion has also been given a short, descriptive title. These titles are provided only to help you navigate around more easily on the website – they do not form part of the criteria themselves.
In this section
- General - Criteria and guidance for PF1-PF11
- Food preparation and eating - Criteria and guidance for PF12-PF13
- Sanitary facilities - Criteria and guidance for PF14-PF18
- Sleep - Criteria and guidance for PF19-PF22