Licensing criteria for home-based ECE services
Section 10 of the Education and Training Act 2020(external link) defines home-based ECE services as the provision of education or care, for gain or reward, to children who are under the age of 5 years, or who are aged 5 years but not enrolled at school, in:
- the children’s own home; or
- the home of the person providing the education or care; or
- any other home nominated by a parent of the children.
These services are licensed in accordance with the Education and Training Act 2020 under the Education (Early Childhood Services) Regulations 2008(external link), which prescribe minimum standards that each licensed service must meet. Licensing criteria are used to assess how the services meet the minimum standards required by the regulations.
For each criterion there is guidance to help services meet the required standards.
The publication of the criteria on its own can be downloaded as a PDF [PDF, 1.6 MB] and printed.
The licensing criteria were last updated in January 2021.
Governance, management and administration
47 Governance, management, and administration standard: general
(1) The governance, management, and administration standard: general is the standard that requires every licensed service provider to whom this regulation applies to ensure that—
(a) the service is effectively governed and is managed in accordance with good management practices; and
(b) the service provider regularly collaborates with—
(i) parents and family or whānau of children enrolled in the service; and
(ii) the adults responsible for providing education and care as part of the service; and
(c) appropriate documentation and records are—
(i) developed, maintained, and regularly reviewed; and
(ii) made available where appropriate; (A) at any reasonable time on request by a parent of a child enrolled in the service; and (B) at any time on request by any person exercising powers or carrying out functions under Part 26 of the Act; and
(d) adequate information is made available to parents of enrolled children and, where appropriate, to the families or whānau of those children about the operation of the service; and
(e) all reasonable steps are taken to provide staff employed or engaged in the service with adequate professional support, professional development opportunities, and resources.
(2) Each licensed service provider to whom this regulation applies must comply with the governance, management, and administration standard: general.
The criteria in this section are grouped together by topic. Each criterion has also been given a short, descriptive title. These titles are provided only to help you navigate around more easily on the website – they do not form part of the criteria themselves.
In this section
- Parent involvement and information - Criteria and guidance GMA1-GMA3
- Professional practices - Criteria and guidance GMA4-GMA6A
- Planning and documentation - Criteria and guidance GMA7-GMA11