Student Management Systems For ELI (SMS)
Information and documents for SMSs interested in connecting to ELI.
New SMS integration to the ELI system: January 2021 tranche
The 2021 tranche for the new early childhood education (ECE) SMS vendors to integrate with the Ministry has now closed.
In July 2021, the Ministry may reassess the need to support any further ECE SMSs integration to the ELI system for the 2022 tranche.
When an SMS is applying for a tranche, it is important to note that the SMS must meet the following criteria at the time of application:
1. SMS Development Criteria
- The SMS must already be developed (as per ELI Integration Specification Information below) with all intended functionality including the NSI and ELI requirements such as:
- child creation
- child enrolment
- child booking schedule
- 20 Hours ECE
- attendance marking
- annual ECE Return data (e.g. staff details and qualifications)
- RS7 Return (e.g. calculation for funding periods).
- The developed SMS must be capable of supporting:
- Centre-based (includes Education & Care, and Kindergarten) and Home-based services
- sessional and all-day licensed services
- a minimum of 50 services
- early learning services to meet funding and regulatory requirements (as per the ECE Funding Handbook(external link) and Regulatory Framework for ECE(external link)).
- The remaining development left to do during the ELI integration process are the National Student Index (NSI) and ELI integration components (i.e. interface to NSI and creation of events and transmission of events to ELI).
2. SMS Operational Support
- Please refer to the ELI/NSI SMS Vendor Integration & Operational Support Approach document at the bottom of this page.
Please send the following Application Documents as attachments to ELI.Queries@education.govt.nz
Application Document Links
- Assesment Application Form [DOCX, 17 KB]
- ELI/NSI SMS Vendor Integration & Operational Support Approach document v3.0 [DOCX, 57 KB] [DOCX, 57 KB]
ELI Integration Specification Information
- NSI GINS document – The technical specification for interfacing to the National Student Index (NSI). This document includes the REST instructions for implementation (Section 5) and must be read in conjunction with the ECE NSI GINS Appendix. Please contact ELI.firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of this resource.
- ELI NSI GINS Appendix v1.41 - The general and functional requirements of Search, Add and Update of the NSI for integration into your SMS. This must be read in conjunction with the NSI GINS document.
ELI NSI GINS Appendix [PDF, 492 KB]
- Info Hub Specificaton - The technical specification for interfacing to InfoHub.
Info Hub Specification [PDF, 663 KB]
- ELI Data Collection Specification v8.0 - (December 2020) – The technical specification contains both data information collection and validation requirements for ELI Events and ECE Returns.
ELI Data Specification [PDF, 2.3 MB]
- ELI Event v8.0 - Appendix A from the ELI Data Collection Specification. Mandatory XSD Validation schema must be used to validate the format of each message to be sent to the ELI system. Application of the validation will reduce the potential for transmission failure.
ELI Event v8.0 [ZIP, 3 KB]
- RS7 Return Specification - The technical specification for automating the four monthly RS7 Returns submitted by ECE services.
RS7 Return Specification [PDF, 804 KB]
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback