Student Management Systems For ELI (SMS)
Information and documents for SMSs interested in connecting to ELI.
New SMS integration to the ELI system: January 2023 tranche
The Ministry has committed to supporting its current applicants through the SMS integration process in 2023. In July 2023, the Ministry will review their capacity to support further ECE SMSs integration to the ELI system for 2024.
When an SMS is applying for a tranche, it is important to note that the SMS must meet the following criteria at the time of application:
1. SMS Development Criteria
- The SMS must already be developed (as per ELI Integration Specification Information below) with all intended functionality including the NSI and ELI requirements such as:
- child creation
- child enrolment
- child booking schedule
- 20 Hours ECE
- attendance marking
- annual ECE Census data (e.g. staff details and qualifications)
- RS7 Return (e.g. calculation for funding periods).
- The developed SMS must be capable of supporting:
- Centre-based (includes Education & Care, and Kindergarten) and Home-based services
- sessional and all-day licensed services
- a minimum of 50 services
- early learning services to meet funding and regulatory requirements (as per the ECE Funding Handbook(external link) and Regulatory Framework for ECE(external link)).
- The remaining development left to do during the ELI integration process are the National Student Index (NSI) and ELI integration components (i.e. interface to NSI and creation of events and transmission of events to ELI).
2. SMS Operational Support
- Please refer to the ELI/NSI SMS Vendor Integration & Operational Support Approach document
ELI/NSI SMS Vendor Integration & Operational Support Approach document v3.0 [DOCX, 57 KB]
Please send the document as an attachment to ELI.Queries@education.govt.nz
ELI Integration Specification Information
Please contact ELI.firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of the following resources.
- NSI GINS document – The technical specification for interfacing to the National Student Index (NSI). This document includes the REST instructions for implementation (Section 5) and must be read in conjunction with the ECE NSI GINS Appendix.
- ELI NSI GINS Appendix v1.41 - The general and functional requirements of Search, Add and Update of the NSI for integration into your SMS. This must be read in conjunction with the NSI GINS document.
- Info Hub Specification - The technical specification for interfacing to Info Hub.
- ELI Data Collection Specification v9.0 - (December 2021) – The technical specification contains both data information collection and validation requirements for ELI Events and ECE Returns.
- ELI Event v9.0 - Appendix A from the ELI Data Collection Specification. Mandatory XSD Validation schema must be used to validate the format of each message to be sent to the ELI system. Application of the validation will reduce the potential for transmission failure.
- RS7 Return Specification v5.0 - The technical specification for automating the four monthly RS7 Returns submitted by ECE services.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback