Te Aho o Te Kura Pounamu Early Childhood Teachers' Collective Agreement
Download this agreement
If you want a printed copy of this agreement we suggest you download the following PDF version.
Note that documents are available in Adobe PDF format only. Accessible versions, where available, can be supplied on request.
Part Eight: Representation
Te Aho o Te Kura Pounamu Early Childhood Teachers’ Collective Agreement
Effective: 1 December 2022 to 30 November 2024
We are making improvements to our Download to Print functionality, so if you want a printed copy of this agreement please download the PDF version of the Te Aho o Te Kura Pounamu Early Childhood Teachers' Collective Agreement.
8.1 Deduction of Union Fees
8.1.1 In accordance with authorities signed by individual employees the employer shall arrange for the deduction of union subscriptions for all union members covered by this contract except in cases agreed to between the employer and the union.
8.1.2 The manner of deduction and remittance shall be determined by agreement with the national secretary of the union.
8.1.3 The employer shall undertake to provide on request each employee at the time of appointment with an application form for membership of the union.
8.1.4 Except as may be otherwise agreed, the commission payable by the NZEI Te Riu Roa for this service shall not exceed 2.5 per cent of the aggregate sum of the amount deducted.
8.2 Paid Union Meetings
8.2.1 These provisions are not in addition to the provisions of the Employment Relations Act 2000(external link):
- subject to (b), (c), (d) and (e) the employer shall allow every employee covered by this Agreement who has nominated NZEI Te Riu Roa as their bargaining agent to attend on ordinary pay up to two meetings (each of a maximum two hours’ duration) with NZEI Te Riu Roa in each year.
- the union shall give the employer at least 14 days’ notice of the date and time of any meeting to which sub-clause (a) applies.
- the union shall make such arrangements with the employer as may be necessary to ensure that the employer’s business is maintained during any union meeting, including, where appropriate, an arrangement for sufficient union members to remain available during the meeting to enable the employer’s operation to continue.
- work shall resume as soon as practicable after the meeting, but the employer shall not be obliged to pay any union member for a period greater than two hours in respect of any meeting.
- only union members who actually attend a union meeting shall be entitled to pay in respect of that meeting and to that end the union shall supply the employer with a list of members who attended and shall advise of the time the meeting finished.
8.3 Right of Entry
8.3.1 In accordance with the Employment Relations Act 2000(external link), a representative of the union shall be entitled to enter the workplace at all reasonable times for purposes related to the employment of its members and to the union’s business. The representative will exercise this right in a reasonable way, having regard to the normal operations of the workplace and will comply with any reasonable procedures and requirements relating to health and safety and security.
8.4 Leave for NZEI Te Riu Roa Business
8.4.1 Upon application, leave without pay may be granted to the NZEI Te Riu Roa President, members of the NZEI Te Riu Roa Executive or any other NZEI Te Riu Roa member to enable that person to participate in the internal affairs of the NZEI Te Riu Roa; not being business for which leave on pay may be granted in terms of clause 6.9. Personal grievances and disputes shall be addressed in accordance with the provisions of Part 9 of the Employment Relations Act 2000(external link). The following is a plain language explanation of the employment relationship problem resolution services.