Playgroup Funding Handbook
The Playgroup Funding Handbook provides information about how playgroup funding is calculated and the conditions which need to be met to receive funding in accordance with section 548 of the Education and Training Act 2020.
Licensing Criteria Cover
Playgroup Special Grant
The Playgroup Special Grant is a discretionary grant to assist a playgroup to cover large costs that cannot be met from other funding. The Special Grant may contribute to or meet the full costs of what is applied for.
There are two grant rounds per year.
As this is a discretionary grant, the applicants are not guaranteed to receive funding applied for.
Playgroups eligible for Playgroup operational funding are also eligible to apply for the special grant.
Special Grant Uses
Playgroup Special Grant Funding is available for:
- setup costs for new playgroups
- addressing health and safety issues
- increasing participation in quality ECE in priority communities, and
- addressing extraordinary circumstances (like damage to equipment by an extreme weather event).
If funds permit we will also consider applications for resources or activities that will directly benefit children at the playgroup and cannot be funded from operational funding.
Special Grant Conditions
Playgroup Special Grant is available on the conditions that:
- the grant is used only for the purpose identified in the application
- the playgroup informs the Ministry of Education as soon as possible in the event of any changes that affect the immediate use of special grant money
- any special grant funds unspent after one year are returned to the Ministry of Education
- the use of special grant funding is reported in the playgroup’s annual Playgroup Funding Report for the year it was granted, and
- equipment purchased with Ministry of Education funding may be reclaimed by the Ministry when the playgroup ceases to operate.