ECE Funding Handbook
Welcome to the Early Childhood Funding Handbook. This Funding Handbook is issued under section 548(5) of the Education and Training Act 2020(external link). The funding paid to licensed services is paid subject to the terms and conditions set out under this Handbook and must be complied with. The terms used in this Handbook are based in the Education (Early Childhood Services) Regulations 2008.
This Handbook is designed to be a ‘one-stop-shop’ for all you need to know about early childhood funding, including:
- the Early Childhood Education (ECE) Funding Subsidy
- 20 Hours Early Childhood Education (ECE)
- Equity Funding
- the Annual Top-Up for Isolated Services
Note: The information in the Funding Handbook does not apply to certificated playgroups. These services should contact their Ministry regional office for further information.
Downloading the ECE Funding Handbook
If you want a printed copy of this handbook, refer to the list of downloads in the contents section where you will find downloadable PDF versions of each chapter.
12-3 Reporting requirements for targeted funding
Each service’s annual audited general purpose financial statements or special purpose financial report must include information about ‘targeted funding’ the service has received.
Targeted funding includes:
- Equity funding
- Annual Top-Up for Isolated Services (ATIS)
- Targeted Funding for Disadvantage
Services must report directly to parents and the local community on how they spend their equity funding.
The reporting mechanism may be decided at the discretion of individual services (or the service provider). Each service must include the following information in their annual audited general purpose financial statements or special purpose financial report:
- an outline of the amount received under each component of equity funding
- a brief description of what the funding was spent on
- a brief outline of the reasons for spending the equity funding in that way.
Annual Top Up for Isolated Services
The value of the ATIS should be included in the service’s general purpose financial statements or special purpose financial reports as part of reporting on the ECE Funding Subsidy.
Targeted Funding for Disadvantage
Each year, services must report to the Ministry on their use of Targeted Funding and how the funding benefited children/tamariki from disadvantaged backgrounds.
A reporting template is available in Appendix Two. This must be submitted in February each year for the funding received for the previous calendar year. Details on how Targeted Funding was used must be provided at the individual service level and specify:
- Total amount of Targeted Funding received
- Key objectives for Targeted Funding
- How Targeted Funding was spent
- How Targeted Funding benefited the children within the service
Note that the due date for the Targeted Funding report is different to the due date for general and special purpose financial reports.