He Māpuna te Tamaiti
Access He Māpuna te Tamaiti, a resource designed for kaiako in early learning settings. It promotes proactive, intentional approaches to supporting the development of children's social and emotional competence.
|Level of compliance||Main audience||Other|
We recommend early learning services use He Māpuna te Tamaiti to support their children.
About He Māpuna te Tamaiti
He Māpuna te Tamaiti includes:
- a book
- a set of quick-tip cards to support kaiako in daily practice
- a self-assessment tool for kaiako and teachers to reflect on, evaluate and develop intentional approaches to support the development of children’s social and emotional skills.
Written by Dr Tracy Rohan, He Māpuna te Tamaiti focuses on four key areas:
- creating a supportive environment
- promoting emotional competence
- promoting social competence
- supporting learning and engagement.
It includes a range of practical and flexible strategies including establishing consistent routines, developing care and empathy for others, building resilience, fostering peer friendships and supporting children to manage their learning.
He Māpuna te Tamaiti has a caring and culturally responsive approach, which is in line with Te Whāriki: He Whāriki mātauranga mō ngā mokopuna o Aotearoa.
The book comes with a set of cards for use in daily practice and during professional learning conversations.
Access the resource
You can download it to create an electronic record you can save, change, and update. Alternatively, you can print it and complete the self-assessment by hand.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback