Starting a home-based ECE service
This is a guide for service providers interested in establishing a licensed home-based education and care service.
Licensing Criteria Cover
What is a home-based education and care service?
Home-based education and care services are defined in the Education Act 1989 as those that provide “education or care, for gain or reward, to children who are under the age of 5 years, or who are 5 years of age but not enrolled in school, in -
- the children’s own home; or
- the home of the person providing the education or care; or
- any other home nominated by the parents of the children; and
includes the provision of education or care to any child of the person providing the service who is
- under the age of 5 years; or
- 5 years of age but not enrolled in school”.
‘Gain or reward’ means that educators must be paid or receive some quantifiable benefit for the service they provide.
The use of volunteer or unpaid educators excludes the service provider from holding a licence as the service provider does not meet the definition of a home-based ECE service under the Education Act 1989.