You’re required to participate in your school’s performance management process. The school board performance manages the principal. The board can delegate performance management of teachers and other school staff to the principal.
About performance management
Effective performance management means that as a principal or teacher you:
- know what’s expected of you
- are supported to achieve the agreed expectations
- are monitored and assessed on your performance
- can develop your skills
It also provides an agreed basis for salary progression.
Your performance is assessed against the professional standards set out in your employment agreement.
The Secretary for Education has set out:
- principles underlying the policies and processes that boards must have in place for assessing teacher performance
- the process boards must follow in assessing teacher performance
- the aspects of a teacher’s performance a board must assess.
Visit the New Zealand School Trustees Association website for information on effective governance for schools.
Visit the Educational Leaders website for information on performance management for principals.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback