Apply for access to the Attendance Service Application (ASA)

Absence referrals from your school to the Attendance Service must be made through the Attendance Service Application (ASA). The application records unjustified absence referrals and non-enrolment notifications. Find out how to get access to and use ASA.

Level of compliance Main audience Other


  • Administrators
  • Principals and tumuaki
  • Boards
  • Teachers and kaiako
  • Parents, caregivers and whānau

Sections 36, 48, 49 and 242 of the Education and Training Act 2020 state that every school board must take all reasonable steps to make sure that students attend school when it is open.

Legal responsibilities and national guidelines for schools on attendance

Schools may choose to use the ASA to support them with compliance. 

Apply for access to Attendance Service Application (ASA)

You need to speak to one of your school's delegated authoriser’s (DA) to request access to ASA.

Your DA will either update your existing Education Sector Logon (ESL) account with ASA access, or they will send you a new user invitation with ASA access associated to your school.

Once the access has been associated with your account, ASA access will be processed within 3-5 working days.

Who is my delegated authoriser?

There are a few ways to find out who your school delegated authoriser is, if you have an existing ESL account associated with your school:

Log into self-service then click “My Delegated Authorisers” on the left hand side(external link)

If you do not have an ESL account associated with your school:

  • Check with a colleague.
  • Contact the Education Service Desk.

How to log on to ASA

You can log into ASA by entering your ESL username and password via this link.

Attendance Service Application (ASA) logon page – Attendance website(external link)

When to lodge an unjustified absence referral in the ASA

You should lodge an unjustified absence referral if:

  • a student has been unjustifiably absent, without satisfactory explanation, and
  • your school has been unable to return the student to school. 

Your referral will be sent directly to the attendance service provider who will allocate an appropriate attendance advisor or Kaiāwhina for action.

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback