Google software for schools
The Google agreement provides additional functionality and security to existing Google applications, as well as retaining the ability to manage Chromebooks from a cloud-based admin console.
|Level of compliance
Google software is a useful tool for schools that supports teaching and learning. The software licences are Ministry-funded, and free for schools to access through approved providers.
- The Google agreement
- Key features of the Chrome Education upgrade
- Schools covered
- Duration of the Google agreement
- Devices covered by the agreement
- How to get the Chrome Education upgrade
- How to get Google products not covered by the agreement
- Your rights and obligations under the agreement
- Training for Google for Education tools
- More support for teachers
- More support for IT admins
The Google for Education agreement provides schools with Ministry-funded Chrome Education Upgrade and the new Google Workspace for Education Plus.
The Chrome Education Upgrade allows schools to manage any number of Chromebooks, customise features and configure security settings from a cloud-based admin console.
Google Workspace for Education Plus gives schools access to enterprise level teaching and learning, reporting and security tools. This comprehensive edition includes all the enhanced security features and tools from Education Standard, the Teaching and Learning Upgrade, and more.
Schools will be able to create a personalised, safe and secure, school-wide experience for each and every device covered by the licence. Through the licence, schools will be able to:
- select apps for student devices so they have the right apps they need
- customise the user experience by automatically loading websites on start-up, adding custom bookmarks and blocking URLs
- schedule regular updates on Chromebooks
- prevent anyone from un-enrolling their managed Chromebook from the school’s domain, minimising lost and stolen devices
- manage student sign-in to prioritise educational use of devices during school hours
- get free 24/7 support which can be accessed from the Google Admin Console by clicking the question mark “?” or the ‘contact support’ link.
The Chrome Education Upgrade is a perpetual licence that covers the life of the device it's attached to whilst on the same domain.
Download the Chrome Education Upgrade overview to find out more about the licence’s features.
Google Workspace for Education Plus is the comprehensive and premier edition that includes all the enhanced security features and tools from Education Standard, the Teaching and Learning Upgrade, and more.
These enhanced tools enable digital transformation with premium teaching and learning capabilities, and proactive security features:
- up to 250 active participants in a Meet call, with livestream options
- breakout rooms and live Q&A within Meet
- unlimited originality reports, as well as a within school repository enabled
- enterprise-level Gmail and Drive security to prevent and remediate events
- enhanced Google Classroom add-ons to focus learning
- data exports to help give an overview of learning
- additional storage
- across domain Cloud Search
- faster support
- and much more.
We will cover the cost of the Chrome Education upgrade and Google Workspace for Education Plus for New Zealand state and state-integrated schools.
Independent schools are able to receive a discount on licence costs by contacting a Google for Education Partner.
Our Google Agreement starts on 1 July 2021 and runs until 30 June 2024.
All school-owned, leased and Student Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) Chromebooks and Chrome OS devices.
Previously unmanaged Chromebooks (Chromebooks without a Chrome Education Upgrade license) and newly purchased Chromebooks will be able to enrol into the school’s network with the Ministry-funded Chrome Education Upgrade licence to be managed.
Contact one of the current eligible Google Chrome and Google Workspace for Education authorised resellers to organise licenses.
Contact one of the Google for Education partners.
Schools are obligated to deploy a Chrome Education Upgrade License within three months of being allocated it. Unused licences will be re-purposed by the Ministry for re-allocation to other schools
Visit the Google for Education blog for updates.
If you're a teacher, Google’s Teacher centre has free resources on Workspace for Education. These resources include the training module for Chromebooks that can help you make the most out of having Chromebooks in your classroom.
Access published slides decks and webinars presented by Google to assist educators and domain administrators with the use of Google for Education.
Online training courses are also available for Workspace for Education administrators.
Learn how Tauranga Girls' College is easily and securely managing all students’ Chromebook devices with the Chrome Education upgrade.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback