Residential specialist schools (RSS)

Residential specialist schools are for students with educational needs relating to: vision, hearing, and socialisation, behaviour, and learning.

RSS enrolments

All RSS enrolments are made by entering into a Specialist Education Agreement.

To find out how to access a residential specialist school, contact your local office

Schools for students with social, behaviour and/or learning needs

The following 3 schools are for students:

  • aged from 8-15 (Year 3-10)
  • who have social, behaviour and/or learning needs that are highly complex and challenging.

These needs impact in home, school and community settings. Local learning support services have been accessed and are unable to meet needs.

School Type Location
Westbridge Residential School(external link)  Co-educational Waitakere City
Halswell Residential College(external link) Co-educational Christchurch
Salisbury School(external link) For girls Nelson

Young people can either access a RSS enrolment through:

School for students who are blind or have low vision

Blind and Low Vision Education Network New Zealand (BLENNZ(external link)) runs a national network with resource centres across the country. It also provides residential placements at Homai. These placements are for students who need residential programmes to support their learning.

Support for students who are blind or who have low vision provides more information about BLENNZ.

Schools for students who are deaf and hard of hearing

Ko Taku Reo Deaf Education New Zealand(external link) provides a national network of services for students who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing. They provide support for these students in their local schools through their Resource Teachers Deaf service. They have residential options, early childhood support and resource centres.

Support for students who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing provides more information about Ko Taku Reo Deaf Education.

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback