Development and operating of enrolment schemes for state schools
These guidelines are for setting up a new enrolment scheme, altering an enrolment scheme and operating an enrolment scheme
The purpose of an enrolment scheme is:
- to avoid overcrowding or the likelihood of overcrowding at the school;
- to ensure that the selection of applicants for enrolment at the school is carried out in a fair and transparent manner
- to enable the Secretary to make the best use of existing networks of State schools.
An enrolment scheme must, as far as possible, ensure that:
- the scheme does not exclude local students and
- no more students are excluded from the school than is necessary to avoid overcrowding.
For pre-enrolment processes and balloting for out of zone applicants
Download the instructions relating to the operation of enrolment schemes [PDF, 338 KB] for pre-enrolment processes and ballots for out of zone students
See sections 11A to 11PA of the Education Act 1989 for full details
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback