Worker participation is an integral part of an effective health and safety system because the people who do the work are best placed to understand and manage the risks and contribute to system improvements.
A successful health and safety system provides workers the opportunity to participate in health and safety.
- Worker participation (part 1) [PDF, 142 KB]: Effective worker engagement and participation practices
- Worker participation (part 2) [PDF, 150 KB]: Roles of Health and Safety Committees and Health and Safety Representative
- Worker participation (part 3) [PDF, 151 KB]: Health and Safety Representatives Election Process
- Worker participation (part 4) [PDF, 159 KB]: Training for Health and Safety Representatives
Tools and resources for schools
- Tool 4: Worker engagement and participation checklist [PDF, 24 KB]
- Tool 5: Roles of a HSC and HSR [PDF, 22 KB]
- Tool 6: HSR election process [PDF, 42 KB]
- Tool 7: HSC membership list - Word version [DOCX, 17 KB]
- Tool 8: Example HSC meeting agenda - Word version [DOCX, 15 KB]
- Tool 9: HSC example minutes template - Word version [DOCX, 17 KB]
- Tool 10: Worker engagement guidelines [PDF, 18 KB]
- Tool 11: Consultation checklist - Word version [DOCX, 19 KB]
- Tool 24: Worker’s health and safety training plan and record - Word version [DOCX, 16 KB]
- Example policy/procedure: Worker Participation - Word version [DOCX, 22 KB]
These resources have been developed through the Sector Reference Group and NZSTA.
Tools for early learning services
- Tool 2 - Health and safety representative list template - Word version [DOCX, 12 KB]
- Tool 3 - Health and safety committee agenda template - Word version [DOCX, 12 KB]
- Tool 4 - Health and safety committee meeting minutes template - Word version [DOCX, 11 KB]
- The WorkSafe Interpretive Guidelines on HSRs and HSCs that came out in late April 2016 (external link)
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback