Automatic doors at schools
Automatic doors are sometimes installed in schools to help students with special education needs to move around. As a board of trustees, you may need to consider whether it is appropriate to install automatic doors at your school.
Installing automatic doors for people with special needs
Automatic doors may help students with special education needs to move around a school independently.
However, these doors are not usually appropriate in a school setting because they:
- need a high level of ongoing maintenance
- have particular fire safety requirements.
Funding automatic doors for people with special needs
On occasion, we may provide special education property modification funding for automatic doors.
We would only consider this if:
- there are no other suitable options
- it would help with the student’s independence
- it would reduce the amount of adult support required.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback