Scholarships for Teaching English in Schools for Speakers of Other Languages (TESSOL)
Having teachers with a Teaching English in Schools for Speakers of Other Languages (TESSOL) qualification in your school will improve the outcomes for English language learners. We offer tuition fees scholarships for study towards a TESSOL qualification.
Who's eligible to apply
You're eligible to apply if you:
- are a New Zealand citizen or New Zealand resident
- work full-time or part-time in a state-funded school, or early childhood education service
- are a New Zealand registered teacher in roles including:
- Subject and class teachers
- Bilingual teachers
- Specialist ESOL teachers
- Members of the senior leadership team
- Learning support coordinators
- Early childhood educators
- currently teach new migrant, former refugee, Pacific background or international students in a state-funded school, or early childhood education service
- have at least 2 years' teaching experience.
More than 1 teacher at a school can apply for a scholarship – in fact, this is recommended as studying together provides good opportunities for collegial support.
TESSOL tuition fees scholarships are offered for study at:
- University of Auckland (Faculty of Education) [PDF, 202 KB]
- University of Canterbury (College of Education) [PDF, 167 KB]
- Massey University [PDF, 164 KB]
- Victoria University of Wellington [PDF, 155 KB]
- Waikato Institute of Technology (Wintec) [PDF, 164 KB]
What the scholarship covers
The scholarship funds 2-5 specified core papers, depending on the course.
Funding includes course fees and $200 towards course-related costs.
The funding usually covers 2 years at a rate of 1-2 papers each year.
We strongly encourage schools to help teachers complete the qualification by funding at least some of the papers not covered by the scholarship.
How to apply
Applications for 2021 TESSOL scholarships are due by Sunday 1 November 2020.
To apply, click on the APPLY link below(external link) and complete the online application form.
You will need the following information about your school/ECE service to complete the application:
- Completed supplementary information form [DOCX, 15 KB] signed by your principal
- School/ECE number
- Total number of students enrolled
- Number of staff with TESSOL qualifications
- Total number of ESOL funded students
- Number of ESOL funded students from a migrant and former refugee background
- Number of ESOL funded students from a Pacific background
- Number of international fee-paying students
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for application-related enquiries. For qualification and study-related queries contact the tertiary providers directly.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback